Dropping my oil pan... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Dropping my oil pan...

My oil pan is leaking and I was wondering if I should use a LR gasket or use the "Right stuff" to make the seal? Also, while the pan is down, what other if any maintenance should i perform.. oil pickup??? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Skip the gasket. The factory stopped using gaskets quite some time ago as they tend to leak.
Use a quality RTV (black or grey).
Drop the pan, let everything drip dry for as long as possible. The clean the pan and the block edge and use a thin coat of RTV on the pan as well as thin coat on the block itself (smear it arund, not a bead out of the tube) and then join them... no more leaks.
Other than taking a look and making sure the pick up screen is clean there is little maint. to do in there.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

It's about an easy job as you'll find, right stuff works very well. If you have access to a parts washer, it'll make cleaning the pan up that much easier, if not carb cleaner works just as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
My oil pan is leaking and I was wondering if I should use a LR gasket or use the "Right stuff" to make the seal? Also, while the pan is down, what other if any maintenance should i perform.. oil pickup??? Thanks.
I dig your avatar. Very nice!

Right stuff works great.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

right stuff is the shit. The excess that invairiably gets squeezed out will not wind up falling off and getting sucked up into the oil pick up as will happen with any silicone based product. I've seen many oil pickups full of little silicone boogers.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Ever try taking the oil pan off again after you have sealed it with that product?
It ain't fun.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

sounds great thanks evryone. as for that avatar.. the next few moments were not so sweet. every crawled out of a land rover on it's side?? one more thing about the oil pan, are the bolts different lengths like the water pump and need to be in specific places, or can i just throw em in a bucket?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions