Drop arm! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2005, 11:32 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Drop arm!

I just installed a new steering box and it's time to install the drop arm so I can but the front links together. Are there any tricks to install the drop arm; is there a special tool I should buy/rent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2005, 11:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ah no. Getting them off is tough though.
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:23 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

stock box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You don't need any tools to put it on, but if you need to get one off, go to Kragen and rent a pitman puller. Should be free and helps a lot. Other than that, piece of cake.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:44 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I have the puller and I took the drop arm off the old box w/o a problem, but trying to put the arm back on the new box and I'm having hard time with that.

Yes Tis, a stock box.
Old July 15th, 2005, 01:01 PM
redrover

Yousef, what kind of trouble? I put a new arm on a few yrs back and the paint on the splines made starting it on a little hard. Are the splines the same? JP
Old July 15th, 2005, 01:49 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

I'm sure you are aware that there are grooves on the steering shaft and on the pitman arm... and every 1/4 turn has a "key".

Maybe it's not aligned correctly.

I've attached a pic of my setup and you can barely see the key or notch on steering shaft. BTW, I run a D90 pitman arm on my Disco.
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I am not sure why it would be hard, unless something is odd somehow. John is right, there are keys. When I put the Ford Pitman arm on mine I had to machine 4 notches to have it accept the thread, but stock to stock should be very easy.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:47 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Ok, it's in. Here comes the next stupid question. How do you bleed the system? Would brake bleeder do the job?
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Just get in, fill it up, turn the wheel all over the place, fill up again, then have a beer. It's been my experience that the steering self bleeds.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions