Driving in snow - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 25th, 2010, 10:34 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

My 110 SW is way better in the snow than my 90 ST. That said, the 90 is better than my 110 HCPU. BFG ATs on all of them. Oddly enough, the Wife will only drive the 90 in the snow. I think it's because it's an automatic and the others aren't.

I have a video around here somewhere of ice racing the 110 on Georgetown Lake. It was fun beating the LR3s.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2010, 10:45 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Chance

I want to see the video. I also want some updated shots of the hcpu. If I didn't drive a hummer I would love to have one of those
Old December 25th, 2010, 07:14 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I went through the local (to my 'rents) place today after some convincing with only 32's... they really had the biggest problem with the RHD...
They looked at me weird with the 35x12.50s. Id like to go 36", but I only have 1/16" clearance in the garage now. Who am I kidding, lots of people look at me weird.
And I love you too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2010, 08:21 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I've been doing a lot of snow driving this week up in Northern Ontario on everything from a foot of fresh powder on hills and gravel to snow on highways where the snow kicks things around quite a bit. Overall I'd say traction has been good, but there is an issue: bump steer. I only have a 40mm lift and everything in my steering/suspension is as tight as it can possibly be, super precise but castor is too steep which means little self-centering effect. On the highway this means always paying attention but when you get loose snow it means massive feedback through the wheel and lots of over-correction which makes things feel very uncontrolled.

I suspect that once I correct/over-correct the castor things will stabilize dramatically and it's something to think about. Any steering slop at all will magnify when the road starts trying to steer you vs the other way around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old December 26th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

George;

Since you started this thread about snow driving, I now place full blame on you for the blizzard that's just about to hit me.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:48 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
George;

Since you started this thread about snow driving, I now place full blame on you for the blizzard that's just about to hit me.

-Hans
Yeah, was just thinking I could get some snow driving/testing in with this storm and give a better account. But I'm pissed about the storm - was supposed to go to FL today but everything is canceled
Old December 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I want to see the video. I also want some updated shots of the hcpu. If I didn't drive a hummer I would love to have one of those
I found it. It's not that exciting; filmed from the passenger seat.

Here's a looks good from a distance shot. Canvas hood is off for the season:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	34274  

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2772.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	34275  
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old December 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90 View Post
I found it. It's not that exciting; filmed from the passenger seat.

Here's a looks good from a distance shot. Canvas hood is off for the season:
awesome
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Avoid these dudes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2818870705.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	34292  
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Love that the rhino mobile is behind the salt truck. No love
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Did you see how shiny his hood is though? It's like glass...even in those road conditions! I mist know his secret...mine is in dire need of a buffing I now realize. Oh well, will have to wait until spring.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
But honestly, it handled great! I drove about 60 miles with some of the dusting of snow, a few inches, then over a foot, to nearly 2 feet this afternoon in Hoboken, handled great in all conditions. The only time I slid was on Rt. 3 toward the Lincoln Tunnel. I was in the lane no one else would drive in (they were all creeping, I was actually moving), and I hit ice on my passenger's side, snow on my driver's side, and it just got a little shaky...I would have expected way worse, so to know that it only did what it did, was awesome.

Didn't get to take many shots, as it was either super freezing, or people were on my ass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1329496444.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	34293   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1551015859.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	34294  

Old December 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Hosing it now?
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How about your heat? Was it decent? This is my first season with the 110...and it's a step above the Series, but not roasting by any means. Although there are the pigtails to hook up the heated seats, just need to get the mounting panel and wiring. But that's another thread I'll be working on for input later once I determine my seat brands (they're either LR or Exmoor I think).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I stay a lot warmer since I pulled the restriction out of the vents. I actually have to turn the fan down in a 94 original soft top in 20 degree weather.
And I love you too
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:32 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Define "restriction"...I'm game to do it in mine!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 27th, 2010, 10:26 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Define "restriction"...I'm game to do it in mine!
Look in there. You will see it. It feels like your heater just got turbocharged. A fresh water pump helped a ton also. If I leave the heat on high in 20 degree weather, I have to go down to a t-shirt. I don't think I'm the only one here on this board either. I think I remember a writeup on it somewhere.

Its on the main page. I saw it about a year after I thought I was clever. 5 minute deal.
And I love you too
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:35 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
For me in a 110 with BFG Track Edge 235/85's I find open centre diff is best apart from steep ascents where there is a danger of loosing traction. With the Diff lock in the rear will push the front wide on turns. I find the 110 very stable, ice is a different matter - studs/ chains is the only answer apart from driving very slowly.
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:14 PM
george6
Mark
99' D90 2.5L TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
my 90 does great in the snow. it should not fishtail around or any such thing, should track straight and true etc. regular street pressure in the tires around 32 or 36 should be fine. Make sure you have drive to the front wheels.
She's a permanent 4x4 & quite thirsty on juice

------ Follow up post added December 28th, 2010 11:21 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobbs View Post
What version of the BF Goodrich A/Ts do you have? The black wall version is not severe snow rated like the Raised White Letter version. Not as much siping.

Granted we don't get tons of snow here in the southern US but I thought the 90 did pretty well the couple of times I had it in the white stuff last winter.
Ok JHobbs,i have mud terrain type tyres.It's normally more muddy than snowy here in Ireland.I suspect the same in good old Smokey Tennessee

------ Follow up post added December 28th, 2010 11:28 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
Something doesn't sound right to me. I drove my D90 in the snow all of the time last winter. Never did it drive the way you mentioned. One of them had an A/S Michelin with a street type tread. It did fantastic.
My first thought is lockers. Do you have lockers? I have heard of people having some experiences with self locking lockers either on the front, rear or both in winter conditions. If that is not the case, then I would check all of the running gear to make sure that everything is working as it should.
Thanks MC,but what are the lockers exactly ? When i brake,all four wheels lock simultaneously.Is this the type of locking your referring to ?

------ Follow up post added December 28th, 2010 11:34 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverchef View Post
I drive in 2ft of snow all day for 9 months of the year. Bag the tires to around 25F/35R and see if that helps. I run swampers year around and enjoy playing pinball off the snow banks. Check and see if you still got swaybars installed? If so...then just buckle up and embrace the greatness of a short wheelbase on slick roads.
Thanks Rover ! The snow has since gone.But, i will try that air pressure next time it snows.I never actually checked the tire pressure,but they seem pumped hard to the max.Which is obviously why she had a tendency to slide arseways

------ Follow up post added December 28th, 2010 11:36 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Try driving one with traction control! You can't lose control if you tried.

Had XPC's last winter (no problems). Have BFG All Terrains and don't plan on having problems this winter...
Hi TJ,how do you set the traction control ?

------ Follow up post added December 28th, 2010 11:37 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I respect those that don't want to drive theirs in the winter, but with decent tires they should do fine, and washing it after driving on salty roads should keep the rust at bay. I did get some odd looks pulling up to a car wash in my series today though
Yeep Charles, i got some weird looks as well

------ Follow up post added December 28th, 2010 11:42 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Tire pressure is the biggest issue with snow handling. 32/35 should be about right. If they are up around 50-60psi it will be terrible in snow.

For deep snow, lock the center differential, but for patchy snow I prefer the handling without it locked.

I agree that a D90 is not the best in snow/ice (unless it is deep), but it does ok. XPCs are amazing in snow (better than BFG ATs and much better than any MTs). Narrower tires are better in snow than wider in my experience as well.
Thanks.I just have to find out how i can to alter the lockers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
driving in snow, vin