Driving in snow - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:46 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes that's the one I usually use. Was broken yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
To add some substance to this thread and not just hijack, I also got the opportunity to drive my D90 in the snow for the first time last week and overall was pleased with how it handled...the only thing I noticed was a little understeer in the hairpins near my house but that could be a direct reflection of my driving as I was trying to see if I could get it to fishtail instead! Ran the truck without CDL engaged. FWIW, running 285/75 BFG AT's
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Jefhuf, you think that our 110 are under powered for sliding the tail out? Maybe a 200tdi isn't able to slide the tail. All I know is when I floor it, it slide sideway front and rear. I always thought it should slide like my gf subaru ; 60-40..
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
To add some substance to this thread and not just hijack, I also got the opportunity to drive my D90 in the snow for the first time last week and overall was pleased with how it handled...the only thing I noticed was a little understeer in the hairpins near my house but that could be a direct reflection of my driving as I was trying to see if I could get it to fishtail instead! Ran the truck without CDL engaged. FWIW, running 285/75 BFG AT's
This is one of those times I wish that picture of you looking like a hick wasn't deleted.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover View Post
Its fun taking the 90 through the car wash. I get to play dodge the spray coming in through the gaps in the top.
Haha - so true. Although I've been recently bringing it to the one where it goes driverless - they do a slightly better job. For some reason auto car wash places don't know how to clean the inside of a 90. They go thru my Suburban and it comes out great while the interior of the 90 looks barely touched.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Just go easy on the gas and you'll do fine. I do prefer to have the CLD on (even in 1-2 inches). Last year (when DC got pounded) I went out before the plows came through w/ no problems with fr/rr lockers on.

I also wanted to test out the oversized Nitto tires we put on the wife's lr3. I was surprised how well it did in the really deep stuff.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

"really? I usually found open center diff was better until the snow got pretty thick, I could be wrong "

I find any Land Rover off road or in slippery conditions to be pretty worthless without the center diff locked. the 50/50 split of power to front and rear axles makes traction much better. without it you are mostly rear wheel drive. I wouldn't put it in low range unless the snow was very deep, but high range with the diff locked I think is the way to go.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:52 AM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

once there is enough snow to fill the tread on my tires i lock the center diff. I slip a lot less that way, at least w/ my driving habits. But I don't lock the fr/rr unless the snow is alot deeper.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover View Post
Its fun taking the 90 through the car wash. I get to play dodge the spray coming in through the gaps in the top.
That is not fun at all when your phone wallet and iPod are all getting blasted with water.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
This is one of those times I wish that picture of you looking like a hick wasn't deleted.
yeah been thinking of adding a dixie horn to the 90 just for you!

------ Follow up post added December 22nd, 2010 10:32 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
Jefhuf, you think that our 110 are under powered for sliding the tail out? Maybe a 200tdi isn't able to slide the tail. All I know is when I floor it, it slide sideway front and rear. I always thought it should slide like my gf subaru ; 60-40..
I don't think it is a power issue but rather just a drivetrain issue
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:53 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

110 in snow.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:15 PM
mcoleman762
Mike Coleman
94 D90 ST/95 D90 SW/83 110

I'll add my .02,

Let's see, this is winter number eight in Maine, and although three of them were very mild, the rest were big snow-makers. Without a doubt, when driving the 90, I much prefer to have the road unplowed with two or more inches of snow on it. The 90 handles that like a champ.

However, that's not usually the case. Once the DOT gets to work, and starts plowing and dumping that damned salt, it makes things much worse. Depending on temperature, it either creates this greasy slush-like solution that's like driving on butter, or it partially freezes thus creating a wonderful glazed-over-packed-snow-ice combination. Either of these is no fun to drive on. Any kind of speed going around a corner, and you'll end up in the ditch, diff-lock or not. Slow and steady wins the race here.

The 110 is a totally different animal, and handles much better. I still don't drive fast though, because you never know what the other idiots on the road are going to do. Then there's the whole needing to stop suddenly to avoid the moose on a pretty consistant basis....

Cheers,

Mike
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Haha - so true. Although I've been recently bringing it to the one where it goes driverless - they do a slightly better job. For some reason auto car wash places don't know how to clean the inside of a 90. They go thru my Suburban and it comes out great while the interior of the 90 looks barely touched.
They won't let mine through because of the tire size and jumping the track
And I love you too
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
My 90 has done great in all this winter weather and has yet to slide on the snow. Had a cold snap today of 67 down from 79 yesterday.

Shane love the signature, Brings back great memories of Sneaky Snake.

Michael
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not a 90, but I drive the Series year-round in upstate NY. I've got a terrible set of Firestone radials - and when I say radials, I mean total street tires. They came with the truck and plenty of tread and I've been too cheap to put a new set on (though I may just bite the bullet for a set of BFG ATs this winter). Anyhow, our place there is literally on a mountain, plowing is spotty, but I'll drive the hell outta that thing up and down all winter. Once you lock in that Series transfer case it really is quite unbelievable even with the worst set of tires known to man.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

When I first got mine, it was atrocious in the snow. I was sliding sideways through stop signs at 2mph, and all that fun stuff. But once those michelins came off and the current set of coopers went on, it's a whole different animal. If I really stomp the gas I can get the back end to break loose, but otherwise it's very solid. Other than the fact it snows inside the truck more than outside, and it's so damned hard to clean deep snow out from the winch, brush guard and roll cage.... I have no qualms about snow with mine.

Now, my old CJ on the other hand..... death on 4 wheels. God I hate those front-shackle suspensions on leaf sprung jeeps.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974 View Post
Haha, I forgot to mention that last time thru I had a little incident. The roller that pushes the tire that pushed the vehicle got stuck and my 90 stopped. The next car in line went into the rear tire and cracked the grille. I'm a little worried that next i go I will not be allowed thru.
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Mark,

If you're sliding or fishtailing you have lost control of your car. This is most likely happening since you're not familiar with your new vehicle. Once you're familiar with it you'll know exactly where that limit is. An experienced off-roader told me that 90% is behind the wheel. It's true but there are a couple of factors that will improve your ability. Full time 4-wheel drive, correct tire brand and pressure, weight and driver ability are all important determining factors in snow driving. I grew up in Sweden driving all kinds of cars in adverse snow conditions so I am very familiar with it. I love driving in snow storms. In my childhood during one of my most memorable snow storms they parked a tank in our drive way, as the army was out to deliver food to people. Needless to say it made an impression.

The BFG AT's are excellent in the snow although I don't have much experience with other Rover tires. The 90 is a bit light in the rear, especially if you have a soft top (since you're in Ireland I assume you don't). 300-400 lbs in the rear would certainly help. I haven't driven a 110 in snow but I can see why it would behave better than a 90. Even so the 90 is excellent on ice and snow if you know how to drive it and you have the right tires, pressure and weight. I drive on ice roads every time I go up to the mountain to snow board and I often pass people struggling to go up the icy hill.

I recently went on Rover run up to Triangulation Point here in the Tillamook Forest, Oregon (see attached picture). It was certainly test of my winter driving skills. 2 out of 7 Rovers chose to/were able to reach the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triangulation.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	34219  
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:20 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We all forgot the most obvious thing. Go to Home Depot and pick up 1-2 of those tube sand bags and throw them in the back of the 90. I do it for my 88, works like a charm - and again I'm running the worst tires known to man year-round. Though I'm going to upgrade to BFG ATs this season.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 24th, 2010, 09:57 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974 View Post
I went through the local (to my 'rents) place today after some convincing with only 32's... they really had the biggest problem with the RHD...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
driving in snow, vin