Driving in snow - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Try driving one with traction control! You can't lose control if you tried.

Had XPC's last winter (no problems). Have BFG All Terrains and don't plan on having problems this winter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2010, 03:33 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I respect those that don't want to drive theirs in the winter, but with decent tires they should do fine, and washing it after driving on salty roads should keep the rust at bay. I did get some odd looks pulling up to a car wash in my series today though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	34126  
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Tire pressure is the biggest issue with snow handling. 32/35 should be about right. If they are up around 50-60psi it will be terrible in snow.

For deep snow, lock the center differential, but for patchy snow I prefer the handling without it locked.

I agree that a D90 is not the best in snow/ice (unless it is deep), but it does ok. XPCs are amazing in snow (better than BFG ATs and much better than any MTs). Narrower tires are better in snow than wider in my experience as well.
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:03 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I drive mine in the snow but my 93 Toyota pickup would run circles around it on a slick road.
And I love you too
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:37 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Try driving one with traction control! You can't lose control if you tried.

Had XPC's last winter (no problems). Have BFG All Terrains and don't plan on having problems this winter...

Would rather have my old '88 Classic Rangie with a Detroit/Truetrac combo than any of the new stuff...high-centered the Range Rover in my driveway and the computer kept getting in the way of flooring it out of there...
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Tires make a big difference, however, general snow performance with such a short wheelbase and relatively light weight is not very good.
Yeah not sure I agree with that blanket rule. My TJ had an even shorter wheelbase (yeah 2" but still) and even less weight (~ish) and it was nearly unstoppable, then when it was stopped I locked the front diff and kept going...
Old December 21st, 2010, 05:04 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I am sure someone has already said, but make sure your diff lock is engaged.
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
I am sure someone has already said, but make sure your diff lock is engaged.
really? I usually found open center diff was better until the snow got pretty thick, I could be wrong
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:59 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You guys are crazy. The 90 is great in the snow. Nothing else to drive on at this time of the year.

Relatively light weight compared to what???
Ever driven a range rover in the snow? Or a 110? There's no comparison. Sure the 90 is better than an old Volvo, but as far as stability goes, such a short wheel base just doesn't do a very good job. The rear end really likes to spin right around!

Are they driveable? Yes, obviously. Do they do a pretty good job? Yes. But snowy road driving is not a 90's forté and plenty of other trucks do a much better job. They do great off the road in deep snow, however!

------ Follow up post added December 21st, 2010 09:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Yeah not sure I agree with that blanket rule. My TJ had an even shorter wheelbase (yeah 2" but still) and even less weight (~ish) and it was nearly unstoppable, then when it was stopped I locked the front diff and kept going...
Yikes. I've driven a TJ in the snow and it was downright scary...

EDIT: now that I think about it, it was an older YJ. But I think they're pretty similar.
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:51 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Yikes. I've driven a TJ in the snow and it was downright scary...

EDIT: now that I think about it, it was an older YJ. But I think they're pretty similar.
Scary? or awesome!?

haha, in its defense it did have MTRs on it, I've found them to be great in sticky/packable snow (not so great in icier conditions though)
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:13 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Ever driven a range rover in the snow? Or a 110? There's no comparison. Sure the 90 is better than an old Volvo, but as far as stability goes, such a short wheel base just doesn't do a very good job. The rear end really likes to spin right around!

Are they driveable? Yes, obviously. Do they do a pretty good job? Yes. But snowy road driving is not a 90's forté and plenty of other trucks do a much better job. They do great off the road in deep snow, however!
Totally agree. Especially on your second paragraph. I got my 90 after having 3 Audi Quattros and the first time in the 90 after a 1-2" snow shower and I was surprised how squirrelly it was. But Audi Quattros with decent tires do kick ass in snowy conditions. It wasn't until last winter when we got dumped with snow a couple times that I saw how well the 90 does in the deep stuff - actually got some great parking spots on snowbanks for a while. But overall, I keep it slow and easy when driving in the white stuff.
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:30 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Well, I can tell you that a swb is more hard to handle properly in icy or snowy conditions versus a lwb. I had a 88 before with mud tires. The tail was always trying to past the front.. Now I have a 110 and it is more stable. Frankly speaking the 88 or 90 will never be able to handle as well as a 109 or 110 in these type of conditions. But I do not believe a 90 is a bad vehicle. If you want to compare it to another vehicle compare it with a swb vehicle..As long as you go easy on the right foot (acceleration as well as deceleration), you should get where ever you want whatever the forecast.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I respect those that don't want to drive theirs in the winter, but with decent tires they should do fine, and washing it after driving on salty roads should keep the rust at bay. I did get some odd looks pulling up to a car wash in my series today though
You drove your Series through a car wash today?!
That is awesome Charles.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:07 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Its fun taking the 90 through the car wash. I get to play dodge the spray coming in through the gaps in the top.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:25 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRRC View Post
You drove your Series through a car wash today?!
That is awesome Charles.
Yeah, had to get the salt off. I need to take the D90 through too.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:31 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You run the D90 through with the soft top on?
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I don't do it often (only to get the salt off in winter - usually wash it by hand).

But yes, with the soft top on is fine. I usually use one that doesn't have as many brushes as this one (and costs a lot less), but it was broken yesterday.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Yes, sure. I've driven dozen of different vehicles. We have 6 months of snow driving every year. Not sure what you are doing....but swapping ends is not something I see happen ever. Full time 4WD is magical.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:41 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I don't do it often (only to get the salt off in winter - usually wash it by hand).

But yes, with the soft top on is fine. I usually use one that doesn't have as many brushes as this one (and costs a lot less), but it was broken yesterday.
I have never taken a soft top vehicle through but I wanted to try! Maybe use the one at the Sunoco near your house as it is brushless
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:45 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I guess there must be a big difference between the 90 and the 110. We get a good amount of snow here and I have real trouble trying to spin my 110 around. If anything it slides on all 4 tires around a corner (not a fish tail...).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
driving in snow, vin