Driveshaft replacement - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:40 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
There was supposed to be a picture of a defender in water over it's hood but things don't seem to be working out too well with posting pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Sites having troubles, can't post right now, Chris is on top of it. Ok, it all makes sense now. Over here in Cali especially, 37's are small!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:49 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I just love driving real sneaky and getting almost everywhere the big wheeled ones get by careful choise of line. I only went to +2" suspension this summer. I also like being able to drive home again and not wait around for the tow truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeslandrover
There was supposed to be a picture of a defender in water over it's hood but things don't seem to be working out too well with posting pics?
http://www.d90.ecgn.net/forum/announ...p?s=&forumid=6

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:09 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Cor this is virtually real time!!!
Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:54 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Just got my 'Woody'. I didn't know it was going to be 'double cardon' -- but cool! I was going to drop it in in the AM, just want to see if there's other tweaks I need to do besides just R&R where the stock one was. I run a very mild 2 inch lift.... Advice?

(Woods is closed, tried calling them...)

DW
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:59 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Doug,

Just curious...how much did it run you?
thanks.

Rick
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Rick, $379 including shipping. Was quoted $440 for a stock replacement at RN. Woody seemed the way to go!

Now, back to my original question:

I didn't know it was going to be 'double cardon' -- but cool! I was going to drop it in in the AM, just want to see if there's other tweaks I need to do besides just R&R where the stock one was. I run a very mild 2 inch lift.... Advice?
Old January 24th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

k, guys. I've installed the double cardon, and I now have a tremendous amount of 'diff rumble' when coasting. I had a bit before, but now it's magnified about 10 times! I've heard that double cardon eliminates rumble, but also heard it increases it. Latter in my case. I know it's relatively harmless, but anyone have suggestions for the cure?

Thanks,

Doug
Old January 25th, 2004, 06:35 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
That's strange I thought that that sort of joint was supposed to be a true constant velocity
Is there any play anywhere else?
Backlash etc within tolerance. Don't for one minuite consider asking me how to adjust it properly, it's something I avoid, it needs more equipment that I possess.
Old January 25th, 2004, 11:22 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

if its got the double cardon on one end (tcase end) make sure you remember to rotate the diff so that the pinion is in line with the drive shaft (that u-joint has no angle).
Old January 25th, 2004, 12:22 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you are running stock rear links, how the hell can you rotate the axle forward then? Doug, are you running stock rear links? If you had no problems with vibration and your lift with the OEM d-shaft, I would have had them make you a HD d-shaft but not a CV one...
Old January 25th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

1. I installed the TW driveshaft the way the stock one was installed -- telescopic extension at the tcase end. So the double cardon is at the diff end.

2. Stock rear links.

3. I drove the truck cold and the rumble was greatly diminished (cold gear oil), so seems like it may be tolerances in the diff itself after the gear oil comes to temp. I almost think the double cardon is delivering LESS stress to the diff when coasting/freewheeling and thus allowing MORE rumble....

4. I definitely had rumble, but not very noticible, with the stock shaft. Mike Smith at ECR says this is always the case with lifted 110s and recommended double-cardon as a solution.

5. I'll talk to Tom Woods on Monday AM, of course.

Doug
Old January 25th, 2004, 03:29 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Doug, you have the shaft backwards. The double cardon end should be on the t-case side ONLY. Flip it ASAP.

Randy
Old January 25th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I try it and let you know if things change!

Doug
Old January 25th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

He shoots, he scores! Randy, I owe you a beer -- I've owned this truck for 2 1/2 years and the drive train is now smoother than it ever was. Do you think the stock driveshaft has been in backwards all this time? I looked in my shop manual but it doesn't show a pic of the installed shaft...

Thanks again!

Best,

Doug
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:07 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

OUCH! That could have turned out bad! While I've never owned a 110 I'd be willing to bet that the stock shaft didn't have a CV at either end and just your standard u-joints and yokes. Any vibrations you were experiencing was probably due to a change in suspension or tire/wheel combos. Another save by the D90 list!
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:56 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I agree with DJ. I doubt it maters with a standard d-shaft since it is balanced either way. I bet the vibs were from the lift. Doug, Glad I can help.
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:04 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
My 110 has a standard drive shaft +1" lift, 150,000 miles on the clock and no rumbles. Not much offroading either, it's the long range expedition truck.
Africa is beckoning this summer!
Standard the sliding joint goes at the transfer box end.
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

Breathing new life into a long dead post.... I have a 110 with a 3" Old Man lift. I recently installed the springs and started a downward spiral into debt. I have Rovertracks rear castor correction arms, Rovertym front arms, replaced the front drive-shaft with a Tom Wood double cardon. All in an effort to eliminate vibration.

The Tom Woods front douuble cardon was the latest addition and solved most of my vibration issues. I am still chasing some from the rear. Doug, I wasn't clear from your post if you put the original drive shaft back on in the proper orientation or stuck with the double cardon to solve your issues. I have been advised that the double cardon isn't applicable to my situation without rotating the diff flange upward - the salisbury rear yoke runs very flat. Anyone running one in this application with success?

Regarding the parts installed - very happy with the workmanship. Rovertracks rear arms are almost to elegant for the underside of the 110. The Rovertym front are all heft and brute force. The truck is smooth, steers and breaks well..... Gotta have cool Sh@*t...

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, drives