Driveshaft Issues Continue...?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 8th, 2004, 04:31 PM
P1CR
Mazen Fawaz
97' D90 SW, Arles Blue

Unhappy Driveshaft Issues Continue...Pulling my hair out!

It seems that a weight is trying to remove itself from my driveshaft.

Furthermore, that is the only explanation that two seperate Rover Mechanics have given me for the weird vibration/noise I get at just under 2k (45mph or so).

I'll have the weight welded back on, but does this make sense?

the problem goes away above or below that speed, and is still exists with the truck in Neutral.

If my driveshaft were out of balance, would'nt the noise continue, if not worsen at higher speeds?

All U-Joints have been inspected and are just fine.

Thanks again!

May as well thank Dave Marchand in advance. Thanks Dave!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well, one of the weights came off my rear drive shaft and I have no vibration but it could still be your problem. When a U-joint goes on my DS I get vibration from 35 to 45 mph then again around 65 to 80 mph. So have it welded on and have them check that the shaft is still balanced. If you can, drive it without the shaft, if there are no vibs then it is most likly the shaft. Check the U-joints at the same time you pull the Drive shaft to have it welded up.
Old July 8th, 2004, 05:09 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Mikey (undoubtedly with Zach's help) made a great suggestion. Drive it without the shaft to see if indeed it is the shaft only.

If it is the shaft, have someone competent service it (balance). And replace any of the joints necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Ced
Cedric Smets

Red face

I have the same problem on my 2003 D-90
I don't know if it is the weight, but it rattle's around 60km/h (think 40m/h).
Non of the garages were I go can find the problem.
My official dealer says that I use the car to hard and much for goiing off road ............
The U joints and drive shaft are Ok & well greased.
But my car is 2" raised with an evolution kit on it, 1/2 a year later, the rattling started, I don't know if it has any to do with it ??
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Cedric, allot of places around here miss the small stuff that can cause vibs. Have they balanced the wheels? The best way to check a driveshaft is to just pull it off and drive without it by locking the T-case in. If your vibs don't go away then I would check the tires too see if they are balanced. Does the vib come from the front or the back? Is it a low toned vib or more of a rattle? Does it happen in gear as well as in neutral?
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:37 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
My official dealer says that I use the car to hard and much for goiing off road ............
That's too bad. Time to get a new dealer!

Before, after and during wheeling, as well as on long road trips. I take the time to climb under my truck and visually inspect and check things over (shake diferent parts of the truck). I found the other night that a source of rattling was a loose shock tower that had shaken the nut loose, even with lock washers. Something I noticed while driving. If you wheel "a lot", it makes sense to get under there, grab your wrenches and go to town tightening as often as you can.

And as Mikey said, make sure your wheels are balanced and if that fails, pull each driveshaft to see what you get.

Another place people seem to ignore are your various joints. Check the boots of the joints on your steering arms, etc. If the boot is cut or cracked in any way. It's done, and time to replace.

It's so much fun...
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:04 AM
P1CR
Mazen Fawaz
97' D90 SW, Arles Blue

They re-welded the tab back on to the driveshaft.

And luckily, it worked. All that crazy vibration and noise gone.

Man, these trucks are so weird.

Gotta love it

Thanks Everyone!

Follow-up Post:

They re-welded the tab back on to the driveshaft.

And luckily, it worked. All that crazy vibration and noise gone.

Man, these trucks are so weird.

Gotta love it

Thanks Everyone!
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Ced
Cedric Smets

The problem come's out of the drive-shaft, this weekend I had to take it off for an other reason..........
And the noice was gone, from here on, I conclude the problem is at the drive-shaft, about the wheels, I can say for sure that the problem is not about balancing, because the rattle is there aswell on my street tyres are on my play tyres.................
About the dealer, I have to stay there for an other 2 years, only for the thing I can't do and to keep my garantee.............

Greetz,
Ced
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

When you pulled it off did the U-joints move freely? And did anyone pull the it appart (the splinned part)? To balance correctly it must go back together the same way it came appart. It should also slide in and out easily. Have any of the U-joints been replace? They could be the wrong size and still fit but cause vibs. Is the BIG nut on the T-case Drumb break tight? It can come loose and cause problems. When it was put back on was the splinned end put at the transfer case end?

Just some ideas.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:12 PM
P1CR
Mazen Fawaz
97' D90 SW, Arles Blue

Motor and Trans mounts were badly warped.

Had them replaced today.

Nothing. Still makes the awful noises. More so when it's been friven for 1/2 hour or so.

I'll take note of everyones suggestions and tell my tech.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
drives