Drivers side wiper arm keeps falling off!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:24 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Drivers side wiper arm keeps falling off!!

Only falls of when its been running a little while. It just kinda pops off the stub and the wiper arm falls on the hood or roll cage. So far I've been lucky enough not to loose it. I just replaced it with a new arm but apparently there is some type of retainer that I must be missing?? WTF?? this morning it was about 5:45am when I was going to work and it scared the crap out of me. Any thoughts??

Follow-up Post:

P.S.- The drivers side wiper also produces a loud click upon reaching its limit. Don't know if this means anything or is normal or not.
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
When you hear the click, is it reaching the bottom limit? You may need to adjust the arm up so that it doesn't hit the windshield seal which is probably what working the wiper arm off (the impact with the seal)
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:03 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

charles- you may be on to something.....I have often seen the drivers side arm slip over the windscreen seal. Not much, about 1" or so of the very tip of the blade. How do you adjust the wipers? Of all the things I've done on my 90, I never had to do anything but but change the wiper blades.
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I explained it here, but let me know if it wasn't clear

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...01&postcount=7
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:59 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

its a set screw..
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Mine might be aftermarket as I am not the original owner, but mine have a spring clip, not a set screw. I had mine off this weekend. Easy to tell in his case if they keep falling off. If you have a hole in the side it's missing a set screw. Otherwise look into the hole in the wiper arm and you should see a piece of spring steel in a groove. Might need to pry it out a little
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

charles, mine are the same. I will say, it doesn't sound like that wiper blade hitting the windscreen seal is the clicking noise but I will give it a shot when I get home. Thanks
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
My guess is that as the system wears it develops slop/play. So the wipers are going a little further down than before and the action of hitting the seal is working it loose (since we don't have set screws). Not sure about the clicking noise.
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

The wiper system has a shaft coming thru the bulkhead - that shaft has a nut screwed on to it that fixes it to the bulkhead and keeps it from moving. If the nut is loose, the wiper will overshoot on both sides. Onto the shaft is fitted a button with a setscrew - the set screw secures the button to the wiper shaft that is sticking thru the bulkhead. If the set screw is not tight, the button can turn on the shaft and may also cause your symptoms. The button has a grove on it and is splined like your steering wheel shaft so that the wiper blade can be mounted at various positions. The wiper blade is secured to the button by a little spring that can be accessed when you pull the wiper blade away from the windscreen. If the wiper blade is popping off the button, the set spring isn't doing its job. If the wiper blade and the button are popping off the shaft together, then it is the set screw.

But again the overrun of the wiperblades may be a separate issue from the blade popping off - everything needs to be tightened down.
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:28 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
The wiper system has a shaft coming thru the bulkhead - that shaft has a nut screwed on to it that fixes it to the bulkhead and keeps it from moving. If the nut is loose, the wiper will overshoot on both sides. Onto the shaft is fitted a button with a setscrew - the set screw secures the button to the wiper shaft that is sticking thru the bulkhead. If the set screw is not tight, the button can turn on the shaft and may also cause your symptoms. The button has a grove on it and is splined like your steering wheel shaft so that the wiper blade can be mounted at various positions. The wiper blade is secured to the button by a little spring that can be accessed when you pull the wiper blade away from the windscreen. If the wiper blade is popping off the button, the set spring isn't doing its job. If the wiper blade and the button are popping off the shaft together, then it is the set screw.

But again the overrun of the wiperblades may be a separate issue from the blade popping off - everything needs to be tightened down.
Just had the same problem it was the splined bit not secured tightly to the shaft that goes though the bulkhead. Didn't spot this at first and went for the worst case scenario and started to strip the bulkhead to get at the wiper mechanism assuming the problem lay in the little gear mechanisms. The set screws need to be tightened down on the flats machined onto the shafts that come through the bulkhead.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions