Drivers side door trouble - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
UtahD90
Adam Harward
1995 Defender 90 SW

Registry
Drivers side door trouble

I have searched the forums for help on door problems and a lot of it was very useful but I can't seem to get my Drivers side door to close all the way.

It latches (first click) but then won't advance to the next click. I've checked to see if its the mechanism on the door and it seems to advance just fine with a screw driver acting as the strike plate. I've adjust the strike plate on the body adding a shim or two and side to side, up and down.

From what I can tell it doesn't seem like the door will go in far enough to advance it to the click.

Any help? Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:49 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
How are you hinges? If you lift the door while open do you get movement in the hinges?
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
xrover
Len Cater
1997 D90

I had the same problem. The main root of the problem was the door had dropped down and therefore the pin was not holding it in tight. But I did replace the latch (as that was loose) and the strike plate as the PO had bastardized it. But even after replacing those items, the door alignment was the more critical part. If you've had your door hinges off then you know the only way to adjust them is on the door pillar bolts. Remove the strike plate, and then loosen the door pillar hinger bolts so that you get movement. Close the door and make sure it is sitting all the way down as far as it can go within the door opening. Check your leve by looking at the line between the rear of the door and the adjacant panel. It should be as close as possible. Tighten your pillar down hard, and then test to ensure your swings and fits back into the opening. Now position the strike plate to allow the door latch to recieve the strike pin into it's opening. Good luck, it is a fidgity job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
UtahD90
Adam Harward
1995 Defender 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
How are you hinges? If you lift the door while open do you get movement in the hinges?
There is a little movement but not much at all

Follow-up Post:

xrover:

Thanks for the tips........I'm going to try that. When you say adjust the pillar bolts forgive me if I sound stupid but is that the hinge bolts on the exterior. Thanks for the help though I really appreciate the help given on this site you guys are great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door