Drivers side door leak when raining... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 17th, 2013, 11:25 PM
gonzanc
Nick
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Drivers side door leak when raining...

I have a pretty nasty leak when it rains fairly hard. The driver's side door "check strap" has a continuous pour, not drip, when it rains. I have taken off the plastic piece and attempted to locate the issue several times to no avail. Is there something I am missing here? Is there perhaps a drain in the door that might be blocked and redirecting the water inside? I am at a loss. I have even read the water ingress manual and still can't figure this out

Any help would be tremendous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You have an outer door seal that may be failing at the check strap area. Sometimes it rubs the rubber or makes an indentation in the seal allowing water to come in. The door itself does have some drains but they are at the bottom of the door. You have some felt seals that help keep the water from going into the door. With the windows up you have the felt seals on the upper part of the window and two at the bottom. The bottom seals are easy source and then to replace. The upper seals (felt) are easy to replace also but you have to take everything apart to replace them.
Old July 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM
gonzanc
Nick
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Does this apply for a ST?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2013, 09:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzanc View Post
Does this apply for a ST?
Likely MORE so for a soft top. Also have a family member trickle a hose around your door while you sit inside, and try to see where the water is specifically making its way in. You may even want to remove your door card while conducting this test Are your door tops sealing properly? Is it really just coming from the bulkhead vent seals but SEEMS like it's coming from the door check perhaps? If so, upgrade to the Series vent seals (search and I put together a pretty good picture thread on it).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions