driver/passenger door latch issues! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

driver/passenger door latch issues!

ok for some reason the doors will shut then open slightly (obviously not all the way) but its because the latch doesnt stay catched on the reciever...what could possibly be broken in that area (becaue its hard to get to first of all, because ive taken off the door panel and looked at the arm and everything is alright with that, nothing wrong with that it seems,
So, it seems the problem is only coming from the latch mechanism, which I cannot get into really with my eyes to see if something is broken or what...take a look at the pics, because playing with it, it seems fine but then it wont keep the door fully closed, like it doesnt lock in place (you hear the first part of the catch , then the second part of the catch wont stay closed, leading me to believe something is not keeping that latch where it is supposed to stay...any suggestions? ... im going to unscrew those 3 screws to get into the latch area, but im not sure what to look for...

any help/suggestion would be much appreciated

thx guys,
Ky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	42515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	42516  

Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2011, 04:56 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Have you tried spraying some WD-40 into it first? Maybe it's just a little gummed up? Is it just one or both door?

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old October 5th, 2011, 06:51 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
In my experience it is all about the door catch and the spacers that make all the difference not the door catch. I had the same problem when I switched to SW doors and it took much experimentation to get it right. What I do is loosen the hinges then close the door all the way and then re-tighten the hinges. Viola! works for me!
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2011, 03:22 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

yes its both doors but drivers side is wyyy worse.....

ill try working with the catch too becasue i cannot find anthing wrong other than it wont STAY latched all the way...the primary latch wont stay shut, but the secondary one always catches so the door doesnt just swing open, you still have to press the door button to completely release door from latch from catch...
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:38 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

ok so im still having the same problem...when i shut the door i feel the first part of the latch catch...then when i push harder the second part of the latch also catches, BUT then the problem comes in...as soon as i release my hand pressure the second part of the latch wont hold, it just pushes back the door slightly open, but not past the first part of he latch catch (so the door stays closed, just not fully closed)... i think im going to play around with the catch some more, but that part seemed ok, but i just cant figure out what the problem is
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

its most often the catch not the lock, on some models the catch has an anti rattle plastic sleeve over the bar that the Y piece in the lock hooks around, check to see if the anti rattle sleeve has worn through to the centre bar.

try adjusting the position of the catch to allow the lock to close correctly, also if the hinges are very worn it can cause the same effect.

Oh and so does fitting new door seals...!

regards

Gren

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, door latch