Driveline Vibration - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

Driveline Vibration

Hi, I've had my 95 ST D90 a little over a week now and I have a vibration that I can't seem to figure out. The vibration occurs when the vehicle is torqued i.e. accelerating, going up a hill, etc. I have replaces all 4 u-joints with only very slight improvement. I drove it with the diff lock engaged to eliminate the TCase and it did vibrate with the diff lock engaged. I'll be dropping each shaft next but in the mean time, is there anything else I should be looking at? Also, is there an issue with installing u-joints "out of phase?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Could also be unbalanced tires, look to see if any weights have fallen off.

Does it also happen with the truck stopped and in neutral?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:09 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

as well as the tyres have a look at the front and rear diff pinion bearings and the sliding joinys on bot propshafts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2006, 07:42 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

If you feel it in your seat it could be the rear tires, if you feel it in your feet it may be the front tires.

The drive shaft(s) may also need to be balanced.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:16 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by johare
Hi, I've had my 95 ST D90 a little over a week now and I have a vibration that I can't seem to figure out. The vibration occurs when the vehicle is torqued i.e. accelerating, going up a hill, etc. I have replaces all 4 u-joints with only very slight improvement. I drove it with the diff lock engaged to eliminate the TCase and it did vibrate with the diff lock engaged. I'll be dropping each shaft next but in the mean time, is there anything else I should be looking at? Also, is there an issue with installing u-joints "out of phase?"
What speeds does it happen at? Take a look at the engine mounts and the tranny and tcase mount.
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:48 AM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I just had new tires put on and the vibration was there with the old tires as well. The vibe is only noticable starting at about 25mph and is present all the way up. The only time it subsides is on level ground and no accelerator. As soon as I give it gas the vibe is back. FWIW, the rear pinion seal was leaking when I bought it and the seller had that fixed however, less than 3 weeks later, the rear pinion seal is leaking slightly. I'll look into the above suggestions.
Thanks!
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:02 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I'm having the same problem. I plan to do the same trouble shooting this weekend with regard to the UJ check and removing the front shaft check. Another trick i just heard of this morning from a guy that owns a shop specializing in Rovers (he does a lot of mods for off-roading) is if the problem is determined to be in the rear (after trouble shooting the front shaft) then he recomends trying adjustible rear links to see if that fixes the issue in the rear. If the problem is in the front then a double cardan front shaft is probably what we need. I hear Tom Woods makes stuff specifically for LR. You can google Tom Woods and email them. Measuring the shaft is key BTW.

I have a 97 with MD springs and disco spring isolators (gives a little extra lift but helps with road noise). The vib got worse last weekend when i installed a winch bumper and winch. Bringing the front down 1/4 inch actually made the probelm worse.

Like you it's fine when I let off the accelerator, but once I give it gas again the vib is right back.
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Do you have lift? Also make sure that both front and rear links are tight.
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:00 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

on topic - I have a 2" Rovertym lift with their rear trailing arms, GBR front drive shaft and I have significant vibrations around 50-65 MPH that I can't seem to get rid of. I took off the fron tshaft and had it rebalnced and while it was off drove it in diff lock and still had the vibrations.

I am thinking a 3-link might help with any castor problems in the front, but beyond that I have no idea. Any suggestions.
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:17 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

No lift.
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Joe, if yo uhave CV DS make sure your pinion is pointing way up to the T-case. Yes a 3-link will solve your problem IMO.

Jay, since you don't have lift, and new u-joints just make sure everything tight first.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

Turns out the front wheel bearings needed repacking. The front left had quite a bit of play. We just got on the wrong track in trying to troubleshoot this thing and goes to show never overlook the simple things!
Jay
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:45 AM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

Vibration Persists

Well, I spoke too soon when I thought the front wheel bearings fixed it. While the repack did help quite a bit, but there's still is a significant vibration starting at about 30mph and really shakes at 50mph. I had the wheels rechecked for balance and they are fine. I've R&Red all U-joints and the shafts are in the proper phase. This weekend I plan on dropping each shaft and driving it to see if I can isolate the vibration the front or rear. we don't have a local resource to balance the shafts so I've tried to look at other causes first. Is there anything else I could be overlooking? My mechanic is about to send me to the dealer
Thanks,
jay
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Did you check the engine mounts? How about the tranns and T-case mounts? It is also a good idea to check all the suspension components, just put a big wrench on everything and make sure it is all tight.
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:02 AM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

I have not checked those mounts yet - but will do asap. We did look at all the suspension components and all looks good there but yeah a good going over with a wrench would rule out something simple.
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

yeah, have a look at suspension components. Sometimes if panhard rod is loose you'll get shakes like that, but they generally don't come loose too often without a lift to exacerbate it. It is something to check though. Also check everything on and around the tie rods and steering stabilizer, check all the ball joints there. Good luck
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:56 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

Ok, I checked the suspension, engine mounts, tie rods, etc and all are tight. I dropped the front shaft - vibration still there.
I dropped the rear shaft - vibration GONE!
Aside from the shaft being out of balance, which I doubt, what should I look for. i noticed i can twist the pinion back and forth about 1/4 inch. Is that too much play?
Thanks,
Jay
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Sounds about right for the play in the pinion. Are you sure the Ujoints are Ok in the rear shaft?
Old March 31st, 2006, 06:27 PM
johare
Jay
95 D90 White ST

The u-joints are new, first thing we replaced. Slip yoke has no play either. I'm going to try reinstalling the rear shaft 90 cw from how it came off. BTW, the auto broker changed the pinion seal himself before delivery. Is it possible to tighten the pinion bolt too tight?
Old March 31st, 2006, 06:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
check to make sure the flange ends are clean and the mating surfaces don't have shit all over them. That would make the D-shaft sit funky.

Also check the rear suspension bushings and the upper A-arm ball joint for play... If they are worn, it could cchange your pinion angle and cause a case of the shakes...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions