Driveline slop - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Driveline slop

I'm experiencing major slop in my driveline; it's most noticable when the truck is in gear and I let off the accelerator or get back on the accelerator while coasting. I also feel it when clutching out while shifting. The truck jerks pretty hard when it happens.

I started yanking on things last week and found a failing u-joint in the Tom Woods shaft. I replaced this and had it re-balanced but the slop persists.

Earlier this spring, I sheared an axle tube and had it rewelded so I could limp back home. I swapped the diff and axles to a new housing and installed them. Shortly after this, I started noticing the slop.

I suspect the Detroit locker in the rear. Has anybody experienced this problem with a Detroit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:20 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Maybe I am misreading the jerky part but it sounds more like you are suffering from rear steer...this is more likely bushings than driveline. I had this same thing in my truck (truck would pull pretty hard if I let off the throttle at highway speed) and with new bushings and properly torquing the nuts on the trailing arms I have had zero problems

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

It's steering just fine. The sensation that I get is the same that you'd get if you let off the clutch too quickly. For what it's worth, clutch was replaced about 3,000 miles ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

How's your A-arm ball joint in the rear? It certainly could be drivetrain, but a loose ball joint can allow a lot of motion when transitioning power on/off.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
reb78
REB
Land Rover 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
How's your A-arm ball joint in the rear? It certainly could be drivetrain, but a loose ball joint can allow a lot of motion when transitioning power on/off.
Thatd be my first stop also. Replacing the ball joint often removes a lot of the clunks you can hear!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I swapped the diff and axles to a new housing and installed them. Shortly after this, I started noticing the slop.
Are you completely sure that it's not your engine experiencing fueling/timing issues as the throttle slams shut? Usually this sort of thing is somewhat violent (lurching forward and lurching to a stop.) I find it difficult to believe that driveline slop would contribute to this behavior at any speed above a few miles per hour, although it's possible if it was perhaps located in the transfer case or transmission before the substantial gear reduction by the time power hits the center differential...
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:37 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

It's definitely not a problem with the motor, which is tip-top. It's not the a-arm, either. I replaced the ball joint last September and I checked it tonight and the castle nut is properly tightened.

I'm thinking more and more that it's the Detroit based on the location of the noise when the power transfers.
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM
exmod110
Don Lang

Check all of ur drive flanges for wear....
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:44 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmod110 View Post
Check all of ur drive flanges for wear....
Also good advice. One of the flanges on the back of my 110 was so worn it had barely 1mm of material lrft actually driving, and a lot of slop. The half shaft had taken a beating too, had to be replaced.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions