Driveline (shaft) problems continue... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 16th, 2004, 08:56 AM
P1CR
Mazen Fawaz
97' D90 SW, Arles Blue

Unhappy Driveline (shaft) problems continue...

I took it in cuz I'm getting a weird vibration noise, shudder when driving at 2k or 45mph. More apparent off throttle, and it went away above and below that speed.

Really feels like its coming from the back of the truck, maybe as close as beneath me, but not forward of that.

So the dealer told me I needed a driveshaft because there was a weight falling off. (1/2 was coming off)

The second shop welded the weight back on.

I took it home for the weekend and the noises were completely gone.

Three days later, back in full force, in fact, way worse. It was happening at 1k, 2k, high speed, and again, mostly just off throttle, but I can hold it with my right foot, then accelerate out of it.

Yesterday it seemed to have gotten to it's worsed point.

Now for the weird part. This morning, it's only faint, if at all!!!.

This is making me nuts! It sounds like tha damn thing is gonna shudder to pieces. It sounds like I'm grinding something to pieces, and shaking the seats, and the next day, it just goes away!!!

A transmission ship put it ont he lift and shook the hell out of the shafts to check the U-Joints. They all seem fine.

No weights missing from the tires, but I'll have them balanced anyway, though if this were the problem, then the noise surely would be intermittent.

Anyhow, I hope you guys have some ideas, cus the local dealer, private shop, and a trans shop are stumped.

Are there any Gurus near me? I'm in suburban Detroit. Ohio? Illinois?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Check your engine mounts! The same thing happened to Jimmy! Some days the vibs were bad, other days it wasn't so bad. Then he realized that once the engine was warmed up is when the vibs were at there worst. So check all the mounts, engine, tranns and t-case. I would also all check your bushings. And just to be on the safe side have a look at your Diff, t-case and tranns fluids, check to make sure there isn't any metal or water in it.
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:39 AM
P1CR
Mazen Fawaz
97' D90 SW, Arles Blue

You know what?

I do believe it's gets worse as the car gets warmer.

That does make sense. Everytime I thought it was better, the car had not been driven much.

I'll get on that straight away!

Thanks Mike!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
problems