Driveline noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2007, 04:02 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Driveline noise

So I have a driveline noise. Yes, I've done some searching on this but wanted to run my troubleshooting efforts by you guys. Initially, I accepted my slack as typical Rover slack. At the URE Safari, a friend drove the D90 and said, "Yes, you have more than the typical slack." So much that while the t-case is in low and engine braking down a hill, if I push in the clutch I get a "clack-clack-clack" sound as the slack is played out. There is no rythmn to it, just as the truck surges, the driveline makes the clack-clack noise.

Additionally, I now have a harmonic noise that is present at 20-25 mph and at 30-35 mph. Not a terrible, imminent destruction harmonic, but a noise that was not present before the event. Once at hwy speeds, it is not apparent over the typical soft, quiet interior noise that allows you to have a nice conversation with your mother in-law.

Concerning the harmonic, I drove from CT to NC to get to the event. This is the most miles I've put on her at once. I religiously checked my fluid levels before and during the trip to make sure everything was okay. After the event, I changed my rear differential and my t-case fluid. No shinny stuff. No change in the noise. Transmission (R380) was changed about 15K ago using Royal Purple. Had a little hedgehog, but nothing chunky. I am not sure if the harmonic became present after driving to URE, or after the trails. The driveline slack has always been there.

I removed the front drive shaft today thinking that it may be the front differential. The slack got much worse. Harmonic was also still present. I did not pull off the PTO cover to check for the cross-drilled gear. Does this sound like a symptom of a worn spline? Is there a speck on slack? Degrees of rotation? Am I facing two different issues?

I am currently stationed in the Norfolk/Newport News area and would love to crawl under another D90 to compare some things. Thanks.

-Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have same deal with my truck. Its noisy and I have always gotten a little bang or clunk when I cost in low and at slow trail speeds. I know exactly what you mean by the clack clack clack. how many miles do you have on your truck? Try reving your motor with the t-case in neutral and go thru the gears..., seems to be an easy way to determine if the transmission is noisy.. I think these things are noisy by nature, a gear drive t-case with helical cut gears (i think) and no sound deadning material really compounds things. The only other thing I have driven that has similar driveline noise is an FJ40..
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:06 AM
WI-ROTTIE
Pete Bethke
'95 D-90 SW #305

I just recently purchased an '95 and noticed the same thing. The truck has approximately 38k miles. As I am coasting to a stop I hear a similar noise from about 10 mph and slower. I haven't owned a D90 before so I didn't know if it was normal driveline noise. Did either of you investigate your problem further and find a fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I ended up taking out the rear diff and replacing it with a D2 front diff. A friend and I set the backlask on it, which only required a small adjustment, and set it to the min spec. Noise is gone. Neither of us had done it before but it was very easy. I had a dial indicator that I bought from Harbor Frieght for about $35. Hardest part was figuring out the best way to mount the magnetic base. The rest was just turning wrenches. No other special tools required. Maybe start by checking backlash in your diffs. Also gives you a chance to inspect your axles and differential for any abnormal wear or broken teeth.

Now it almost seems too quiet. Almost like I miss the whine. Go figure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions