driveline locks up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2005, 11:34 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
driveline locks up

Twice now my 1994 D-90 driveline has locked up after being parked for a couple of days. First time I thought it was due to ice on brakes. Second time it was 65 degrees out, so now I fear something more major. When first engaging the clutch the drive line torques up but the car won't budge; then the driveline lets out a loud BANG (can't tell from where) and I can move again. I bought this truck 3 months ago from a dealer (American Fork, Utah) who told me he had just installed a new (not rebuilt) tranny 1000 miles before I took possession. I pulled axles and diffs but could see not problems. I hear no peculiar noises from the driveline while driving. Has anyone got a clue regarding the cause of this problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2005, 11:57 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Transfer case spider gears?

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:06 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Oil on the brake discs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2005, 06:44 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would check the e- brake linkage too
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Next time it happens put the T-case in Neutral and let the clutch out, this will rule out the trans and the input to the T-case. If not then jack up one front tire and crawl under the truck and try turning the front driveshaft, it should spin freely and this will rule out the front Diff and the front output of the T-case. Then do the same in the rear but release the park break, and try and spin the rear driveshaft, this should also spin freely and rules out the rear diff and the rear output of the t-case. I know these things happen when you're going to work or something but it's the best way to find it with the least amount of work.
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Thanks for the replies. Brakes are oil free. I have not checked T-case spiders. Mike, I shall perform the tests you indicate in the hopes that I can isolate the trouble. At the moment I have dropped the plate in the T-case and have also removed the gears from the input shaft, but can see nothing in the way of broken parts, so at least I am not clanging apart the gears there. I am a bit new the the Defender's set-up having owned and worked on a Series IIA for three decades. I never had this problem before. It acts as though it is in two gears at once or something. Strange... I sure don't want to experience what happens if things jam while I'm on the highway.
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I had that happen to me once too, it ended up being in the parking brake drum. Easy to diagnose in my case because after it let loose, the parking brake stopped working totally. Dealership fixed it in that case so I don't know exactly what to look for, but no parts were required.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Selll it to me.

Ron
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:30 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Thanks Hans. I'll check the brake drum too. Hey Ron, I have a few more "Rover moments" to live through before I get fed up enough to sell.
Old February 19th, 2005, 06:10 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I'm sure it will be the transmission brake. next time it happens before forcing it free with engine torque stop the engine put it in gear and with the transmission brake released give the back plate a bosh with a hammer. It's probably the release mechanism full of much and then it rusts uo jamming the transmission brake. It needs a disassemble, clean and lubricate. My 90 does exactly th same thing if left standing for a while.
Old February 21st, 2005, 01:20 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Thanks Mike, I shall get to that tranny brake ASAP. And while I am at it, my checking of things has uncovered the fact that my rear brakes on not working at all, so I reckon I may get to play with a new master cylinder in the coming days. Ahhhh, the joys of getting a used truck...
Old February 21st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Steve, try to rebuild your master. It is very easy & you can get the parts from RDS cheap!
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:46 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhitaker
Thanks Mike, I shall get to that tranny brake ASAP. And while I am at it, my checking of things has uncovered the fact that my rear brakes on not working at all, so I reckon I may get to play with a new master cylinder in the coming days. Ahhhh, the joys of getting a used truck...
Are you sure it's the master cylinder?
Check tthe rear calipers (I'm assuming that you've got disc brakes at the rear) the pistons might well be seized in the calipers. It's not an uncommon problem, I tend to move the pistons right back into the calipers when I give my truck a thorough clean after muddy off roading.
The other possibility is a collapsed flexible brake pipe to the back axle.
Then of course theres the brake ballance valve, goodness knows what goes on in there
I'd tear apart the master cylinder last of all.
Old February 26th, 2005, 12:03 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Yeah, the master cylinder is the just about the last step in my routine. The pistons work fine and the calipers seem okay; no brake line problems. I am with you about the mysterious workings of the brake balance valve, which could be the culprit. Oh well, what else would I be doing in my spare time anyway... beside yardwork, fixing things around the house, cleaning out the garage, etc, etc, etc.
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Ah but fixing Land Rovers is soooo much more rewarding. especially if the heavens open when you're half way through a job , and then there's the cold (well it's cold over here at the monent)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions