Driveline Knock of Death - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 4th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Driveline Knock of Death

Guys,
I think my '94 has developed the driveline knock of death. I have a really annoying clunking in 1st and 2nd gear when accellerating and decelerating. I know the D-90s are prone to this and some of it is normal, but mine just not feel right. I have checked my u-joints and a-frame ball joint and all are tight. Is my last option the tailshaft on the tranny? I read about it here: http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HT...r_problems.htm

I have rebuilt older Jeep trannies and transfer cases, is the R380 difficult to rebuild? If the tailshaft is the culprit, can I remove the t-case and replace the tailshaft with the tranny still in the vehicle? Are the parts expensive. Anyone have any ideas or done this before?? Is there anything else that might cause the noise?

Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2007, 11:48 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Before you start pulling components out for rebuild, pull the PTO inspection plate off the back of the transfer case, and have a look in there with a flashlight. You will be staring at the backside of the Transfer case's input gear, with the end of the transmission output shaft visible in the middle. Check for excessive play between the two, and for visible spline wear. The input gear can be easily removed as well by removing the bearing endcap bolts and pulling it straight out to get a better look if need be.

Unfortunately it is quite common for excessive wear to occur here, and requires the transmission to be removed from the vehicle and completely rebuilt to replace the output shaft. Several of the guys (Evilfig - Ron is one that comes to mind) are familiar with and have rebuilt these several times, and will hopefully chime in soon with more information.

Rob Dassler is also a board member with a great reputation for his rebuilds, and a wealth of knowledge, if you need to go this route. If I recall the parts are not too terribly expensive, but make sure you get one of the newer cross drilled input gears if you do. The Gear has longer splines to engage more surface area on the transmission's output shaft splines, and is cross drilled to get more oil to the splines.

Here are a couple of photos posted in the past that show the spline wear issue and updated cross drilled input gear. The output shaft in the photo is on an LT77 and look slightly different than the R380's, in that it has the threaded portion on the end. The Input gear photo also shows the automatic transmission's output shaft adapters next to the gear. Hope that is of some help..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	11242   Click image for larger version

Name:	shaft3.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	11243  

Click image for larger version

Name:	shaft4.jpg
Views:	1436
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	11244   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-Case input gear.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	11245  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
First, make sure Dave hasn't been under there licking anything he can reach.

But then I'd remove the rear driveshaft and lock the center diff and make sure the vibe is gone. Repeat with the front if necessary. How sure are you it's not the u-joints?

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's not a vibration, it's a knocking.

Semper Fi!
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
LOL. Hey JR, didya check all the obvious stuff like bushings and motor/trans mounts? U joints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
First, make sure Dave hasn't been under there licking anything he can reach.

But then I'd remove the rear driveshaft and lock the center diff and make sure the vibe is gone. Repeat with the front if necessary. How sure are you it's not the u-joints?

charles
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I think Dave's going in the right direction -- radius arms and panhard rod bushings would be the first thing I'd check.
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:36 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can also have a knock where the rear a-frame mounts to the axle at the ball joint. Of course my wife's transfer case also just blew up too.
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I checked the rear a-frame joints and the ball joint. All are tight. My final test this weekend will be to disconnect each driveshaft to see if I can pinpoint it. I will also remove the PTO cover on the t-case, so I'll keep you posted.

Semper Fi!
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:00 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Sabotage from the previous owner. Maybe the photo shoot got a little carried away.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions