Driveline "crunch" at highway speed - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 8th, 2014, 10:21 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
post a picture of your rear pinion angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It the nut on the rear output flange tight? Is the parking brake adjusted properly?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 8th, 2014, 11:22 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

If that were the issue, it would do it unlocked also right, unlocked with both shafts on its quiet. The clunk is only there when a shaft is removed from the car and the diff lock is engaged. On my old Range Rover i drove around without front shaft for months. There was no difference in noise or feel to the car. Now in the defender, letting up the clutch with that shaft removed makes me cringe the noise is so loud. I should also mention I torqued the nuts on the t case flanges. Front was tight rear was not. Got about a rotation and a half off the rear nut. Diffs were tight. I guess I'll look for a double Cardon shaft to put in the rear as a next step.
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A double cardon shaft is a bad choice from the rear assuming your pinion angle is correct. sounds like the problem is inside the transfer case. If it is fine unlocked with both shafts on. When locked, how much play is there between front and rear outputs?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:59 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

With the diff lock engaged, there is about 1/8-1/4 of a rotation btw the two flanges before it locks up. I'm 99% sure it's this slack that's causing the bang. It seems like a lot to me so I figured something was amiss and might be contributing the vibrations and noise I posted a recording of. On the flip side, I checked this against another defender and it's T-case had about an 1/8 rotation btw the flanges before it locked up too. Maybe it's normal?

Obviously with both shafts on, diff lock engaged there is no clunk which is why I don't think it's spline wear. If there is an issue in the Tcase, it has to be something btw. the two output flanges.
Old October 8th, 2014, 07:26 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Photo of the pinion
Old October 8th, 2014, 08:10 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I'll check the slop in my LT230 when I get home and let you know what my box has.
Old November 1st, 2014, 01:54 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

So I thought I'd post an update on this. Still haven't solved it, but I think I can rule out the tcase.

After noticing that removing the rear shaft eliminated the problem I focused my search on the back end. I put the truck on blocks and ran it up through the gears and localized the noise to the rear diff area. My most recent diagnostic test has stumped me. If I go drive over 55 and unload the drivetrain. The noise and vibration are present. However. If I lock the rear arb and drive over 55 the noise and vibration are gone. Locking the diff eliminates whatever is going on. To me this means the diff is the problem but I can't for the life of me figure out what is mechanically going on that would cause this issue in a diff and make locking it improve the problem.

Still a chance that locking the rear is causing bind in the drivetrain and therefore eliminating a driveshaft problem but I'm thinking differential at this point.
Old November 1st, 2014, 07:45 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Pinion bearings could be on their way out and/or pinion angle is incorrect. May need to lengthen the rear trailing arms to get your pinion angle dialed in.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 15th, 2014, 08:07 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

So just wanted to wrap this up and post the result for everyone

GBR sent me a double cardon rear shaft to try out. Replacing the shaft eliminated the problem. It would seem that the issue was indeed a pinion angle/drive shaft vibration issue. For anyone searching this post later on, the vibration was a result of a final drive re-gear. Apparently the speed of the shaft increased with the higher gears and thus caused the oscillations at 50 MPH and above when before there were none. I think my issue is unique because there was NO change in pinion angle or suspension setup from before the re-gear. truck drove fine.. new gears went in.. truck has a drive line noise. Moral of the story, if you have a 2 inch lifted 90 with no issues, it's possible to develop a pinion angle issue even if you don't change your suspension.

Anyway, thanks everyone for helping and I have to give a shout out to Bill at GBR for fantastic customer support.
Old December 15th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
when in doubt, cardon it out!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions