drive shaft play - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 29th, 2007, 12:27 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

drive shaft play

My wife was coming home this evening and said the 90 has a wierd clunch. I drove it and was stumped. It sound like something rubbing at times, then clunking, and then like rusty spring being stretched. there is no rhythm of sequence. I made the car jerk a couple time and it is worse. While the sound it going it goes away if I coast it. It sounds as if it is coming from the rear of the vehicle even when my wife drives slowly by me.

I checked the u joints (I noticed that the rear diff u joint is cracked at the bearing on one). I greased the u joint and shaft. Noise still there. Shaft is tight with no play what so ever.

Front drive shaft has about 1 inch of play in it. I will check the fluid and then disconnect my drive shafts and see if I can narrow it down.

Can I drive with either drive shaft removed for an extended (one week) period of time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions