Drive Shaft Clearance - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 24th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Drive Shaft Clearance

Can anyone tell me the amount of space between the driveshaft and the rear floor on a 110? I want to build a box to fit below the floor in the 2nd row with an access hatch in the floor, but I currently have the drivetrain removed and am not sure how deep I can make the box without interfering with the driveshaft. I am running OME HD Shocks/Springs for what it's worth.

If someone has a 110 and can give me rough dimensions between the frame rails of how much clearance there is between the floor and the drive shaft, I would appreciate it.
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

bump, anyone?
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Sorry--I don't have a 110. But just run a piece of string between the two flanges and measure that distance--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Thanks, but the Engine, Trans and T Case are not in the vehicle right now.
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:13 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I've got a 110 but it's a three door. Will that do you any good?
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

its probably the same I would imagine. I'm just trying to get an idea of whether I have 3" or 8" you know...I think I have plenty of room but I am making a shallow box to mount all the Accessory Electrical in. The hatch in the floor will provide access to three fuse/relay panels for all the lights, winch, heated seats, heated mirrors, inverter, compressor etc.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:52 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Sorry for the delay - deer were eating my melon plants and I had to slap together an electric fence. I'll measure it but I thought the three door floor immediately behind the front seat was raised while the five door floor immediately behind the front seats was not.
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

That could be, I've never seen a 3 door up close, so I am not sure. My floor is definitely at the same height as the front floor, even with the T-Pieces. It raises up about 5" below the middle row seats and is that height in the whole cargo area.
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:47 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Finally got to measure. From the floor under the center console to the center of the pinion is about 10.5". On mine, though, the center crossmember sits above the pinion. From the floor under the center console to the top of the center crossmember is about 6.5".
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Thanks Michael! What I'm really looking for is the amt of clearance under the middle row footwell. So, the space from the floor between the two rear doors (on a NAS 110) to whatever lies directly beneath it. The Drive Shaft is there, but since I have the whole drive train out right now, I am not sure how far back the Transfer Case and E-Brake sit. I am switching to an X-Brake, so I should gain a little more room under there with that as well, but I found a Great Box to install under the floor and I want to make sure there is clearance before I mount it.
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:47 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I'm also using an X brake. The X brake is under the front seats, so it won't make a difference to rear seat clearance. To find the clearance you'll need to know the angle of your driveshaft, which depends on your lift and suspension.
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

That space below the floor will shrink when the springs are compressed. How about putting the boxes on the outside of the frame rail, similar in style to the old Series and early 90 fuel tanks?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I am open to that as well, I don't want it to hang too low and reduce break-over angle though. I don't need it to be too deep, it is just going to house fuse/relay panels and wiring. The other side will be taken up with an Air Tank for the compressor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions