drive shaft - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

drive shaft

I have a difficult noise coming from the rear. It sounds like a clunck, rusty springs being stretched...just unidentifiable. The noise is the under load, when I coast (in neutral) sound goes away.

U joints are tight, rear drive shaft is tight (no play). Front drive shaft has about 1 inch of rotation play if not more. When I rotate the front drive shaft I can hear a little clanck in the transfer case.

Any ideas?

going to check fluids, drop drive shafts and narrow down to rear/front/transfer case.

Can I drive with either drive shaft removed for an extended period of time with no harm (one week)

stuck

brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

if the clunk is accompanied with a vibration.....

mine was the trans brake drum wasnt rotating evenly. I pulled out the retainer screw and everything went away. just an idea.
Old June 30th, 2007, 02:54 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Trans brake is the drum that the rear drive shaft attached to. Where is the retainer screw? I just got out of the mountains and it does have a vibration the is noticable at about 30 mph and continues with speed. Vibration goes away while either coasting in nuetral or clutching.

Thanks

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

I'm kind of scared that the rear driveshaft had no play. I've never seen that......?!
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:17 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

dude, thats exactly what mine was doing. There is one big screw on the driveshaft side of the drum. Mine looked like a stripped out large phillips head. I ground it so I could get a screw driver in it and got rid of it. Then reapplied the drive shaft.

Before doing this, lift the truck and turn the drum to see if it is spinning evenly. If it is, I am not on the right track and the bearing inside there is shot. Do you still have the problem with the front shaft removed?

I just went throught all this shit. Let me know if I can help.

Follow-up Post:

to continue..

I should have explained my situation further

The screw was actually not allowing the bolts that hold the shaft to the drum to secure it so that it turned evenly all the way around. I'm not sure why the screw is there in the first place. It serves no purpose that I can see. ( and cheers to a colorado guy, I'm a Durango guy)
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:04 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

The screw is just there to hold the drum in place, kind of like the ones that hold the rotor against the hub on BMWs and some Land Rovers. It just makes it a little easier to put the shaft on. Also, since the hole has been drilled, I suppose that technically not putting it in could cause a slight change in the balance, but probably not noticeably.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions