drive shaft - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

drive shaft

we are not smart enough here to balance a drive shaft. help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Take it to a drive line co. The only way to do it at home is to toss it in the air, whichever side lands first is the heavy side. Take a little off with a grinder and toss it again. Keep doing this untill the drive shaft lands perfectly flat. Then its balanced.

Just take it to a drive line company.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
That was pretty creative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

not driveshaft after all. At speed, no vibration when I push the clutch in or let it coast in neutral. Seems a bit coincidental that this transpired at exactly the same time I installed the new lift. I have it parked now until I come up with the problem. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:55 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

bump
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

How much lift?

Stock driveshaft?

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:03 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

had 2" blocks. put on full 3" rovertym setup. Lengthened rear drive shaft and had it balanced. Had the vibration before and after the driveshaft work. Same problem with the front shaft removed. Vibration is a little worse on acceleration vs. slowing. It appears only above about 20-25mph. In neutral or clutch engaged there is no problem. drive shaft should be spinning regardless if in gear or not when moving. I can't figure it out. Thanks for you input.
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
had 2" blocks. put on full 3" rovertym setup. Lengthened rear drive shaft and had it balanced. Had the vibration before and after the driveshaft work. Same problem with the front shaft removed. Vibration is a little worse on acceleration vs. slowing. It appears only above about 20-25mph. In neutral or clutch engaged there is no problem. drive shaft should be spinning regardless if in gear or not when moving. I can't figure it out. Thanks for you input.
What kind of shafts do you have? Dc front?
the angle of the diff makes a huge differance...angle finder is the tool...
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:53 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

so you have a vibration, but what exactly are the syptoms? is it only durring certain speeds above 25mph, or more prominant under certain conditions? Do only feel it in particular gears? Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel, the gas, or the tranny? What tires are you running?

I was chasing a vibration and went through all the motions with the drivetrain and it ended up being my tires horribly out of balance. It was particularly bad in the 30-40 mph range, and then would run smooth between 40-65 or so, and then would start vibrating again above 65.
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

at any speed above 25 in any gear. Does it with or without front shaft on. Does not do it in neutral at any speed. That would eliminate the tire possibility and the front driveshaft. The angle of the rear is not great, but no worse than with the other lift setup. The driveshaft is still turning while coasting in neutral and there is no vibration. It seems slighly worse on accel. It is still there doing consistant speed. Is completely gone at any speed in neutral. I had the rear shaft lenghtened a bit and trued and balanced. same problem. If it is the driveshaft, it should vibrate some whether in gear or not while moving. Am I missing something here??

I'm beating my head against the wall on this one.
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
maybe your yoke/pinion shaft bearings are loose in your rear diff (the part the rear driveshaft attaches to at the bottom). sounds like it happens only under load, at a specific harmonic range, in the rear shaft. Disconnect the rear shaft at the bottom and shake it to see if there is excess play. if it's not the shaft, i can't think of anyting else with this particular set of symptoms.

good luck.
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

if the input doesn't match the output youll have vibs. perhaps loading the shaft causes more vibs
also the shaft could be out of LR phase! the uj's should not be in phase. [if you dig]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions