Drive plate shimming - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 10th, 2017, 04:19 PM
NC_MULE
Pat
1991 Range Rover Classic w/300tdi

Drive plate shimming

RRC with 300TDi and ZP 4HP-22

Replacing my ZF autobox, I purchased a rebuilt one and will send my core back.
I have the torque converter seated and that measurement checks out. The manual says to measure the distance between the spacer surface and the gear box mounting flange. The spacer is between the crank shaft and the flex plate. If you need shims they go between the spacer and the crank shaft.
My question is...is it typical to have to re shim the spacer when fitting a new autobox? Or will I be able to put my old shim back in and things will be in spec? My digital caliper is at work so I will be able to measure tomorrow.

See attached pic of the manual.

Thanks pb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3716[1].jpg
Views:	22
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	334129  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2017, 05:12 PM
rdavisinva
Guess Who?
N/A

You need to measure during every installation.
Old December 10th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Agreed, measure each time. The crank pulley tool is also really handy for getting the torque right on the bolts when reinstalling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2017, 07:31 PM
NC_MULE
Pat

ok great, thanks for the confirmation, I figured it would have to be re shimmed or else when you bolt the torque converter to the flex play you could potentially pull the TQ off the pump and destroy it.

Great tip on the on the crank pulley tool, I'll order one when I order my shims.

Thanks guys!

pb
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:30 PM
NC_MULE
Pat

Well I measured my drive plate distance and I'm at 1.64mm out of spec.

I called British Atlantic and they referred me to Rovers North which I thought was kind of odd because British Atlantic seems to have more 300TDI parts then Rovers North. Rovers North said they only make a 2.10mm shim and you have to sand/file it down to your desired spec. That doesn't seem realistic. I went on the Rover microcat page and found the part number for the 1.70 shim FRC6297. I ordered it from LRDirect only to find out that they don't stock that shim and they can not get it from Rover factory.

The spec is 12.4mm if I reuse my old shim I will be at 12mm. Do you think that's close enough?
I'll be .4mm out of spec. Seems pretty damn close to me but I don't want to damage my new transmission and I don't want to have to do this job again.

I'm thinking 12mm is close enough but would love a second opinion from someone with more experience then myself.

Thanks pb

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions