Defender Source Forum banner

Drive Member-front and rear same?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Red90 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I am looking to update my drive members and was wondering if the front and rears are the same. I have an 1983 110 with a rear salisbury. I am assuming the front and rear axles are original to the truck but who knows. I have read that on the NAS truck the rear half shafts are integral with the drive member. When I re-did my front hub the drive member was separate but not sure about my rear. Can anyone tell me if the rear drive member is separate from the half shaft like the front one? Can I use these in the front and rear? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Im not sure if they are the same as the salisbury axle, remove one of each and see if they will fit in the oposite of removal, while at it sees if they share same amount of splines, mounting bolts, and height as well as depth.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Jeff

------ Follow up post added May 13th, 2012 11:27 PM ------

I just checked and my front and rears are both 24 spline, which make me wonder if the front is original and which drive member I will need, thick or thin.

#5 ·
If the front is 24 spine, it fits the AEU 23 spine CV (like a NAS 110) and is almost certainly original and the wide one. It should be the same as the rear sals (don't quote me, but I am 90% certain).

Early RRCs have stubby axles that are 10 spline male which go into the suffix A or suffix B CVs, I assume these made it on some 90s too, but I have not seen an old 110 with anything other than the wide 24 spline hubs and NAS 110 style CVs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.