Dripping LT77 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Michael White
110 Tdi
Dripping LT77

Hi all,

There's a bit of transmission fluid dripping down the right side of my LT77 transmission extension case; nothing too horrible yet, but an ounce of prevention blah blah blah. The drips hang on one of the bolts that holds on the cross shaft lever pivot bracket. The only thing I see above that bolt in the service manual that could leak is the breather line, or possibly gear select housing on the top of the transmission. It looks a bit of a tight fit, even if I come through the top. Is there any combination of tools that can be used to check or snug down that line fitting without dropping the transmission?

Right now I'm assuming no sealant was used on the gear select housing gasket, so I should be able to snug that down if I can - please correct me if sealant is normally used.

FYI - The last placed that change the fluid overfilled it. When I checked the level after buying it and driving it 2000 miles, quite a bit of fluid came out when I removed the fill plug. The fluid is now level with the the fill plug hole, and the leak is not as bad but is still there.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the
black flag and start slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions