Drilling frame help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 29th, 2015, 06:32 PM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Drilling frame help

Installing sidestep on my 110 and I have to drill 2 holes on the frame to mount two outriggers... Question should I use rivnuts or drill and use a regular bolt? Drill through both sides of frame or not necessary?
Basically need help how I should mount this without causing any potential damage to frame down the road.
Thanks in advance. Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	133425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	133426  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2015, 06:37 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Rivnuts are not for anything structural or load bearing. Nut and bolts are what you need.
Old October 29th, 2015, 06:40 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Measure thrice, drill once. Use a punch to set your hole locations before drilling. Drill the properly sized hole for your bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2015, 07:12 PM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Should I drill completely through both sides of the frame?
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:15 PM
javelinadave
-
-

If you don't can you get a wrench to grab the nut?
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:24 PM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Not sure what you mean or asking? See pics above...that is exactly where I have to drill. Those bolds are something else Tcase mounts so not using those.
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:31 PM
javelinadave
-
-

If you drill thru the frame where the bracket holes are can you hold the nut while you tighten the bolt or do you have to go thru the entire frame to hold the nut? You could also weld on some threaded rod and then have the nut outside of the frame saving you from drilling any holes what so ever. That is what I would do myself if it was on my truck.
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:39 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by emah View Post
Not sure what you mean or asking? See pics above...that is exactly where I have to drill. Those bolds are something else Tcase mounts so not using those.
Dave was being facetious.
What he meant was if you only drill one side of the frame and you don't drill the other side, you can't bolt it though because there is no way to put on a nut much less hold it with a wrench from the inside of the frame which is sealed.
You'll need to drill it all the way through so you can put the bolt through, put a nut on the inside of the frame rail (because the bolt is sticking out) and hold it with a wrench while you tighten the bolt head on the outside of the frame rail.
Be sure and use some large fender style washers.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:48 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Damn, I had to actually look up what "facetious" meant and I assure you I wasn't being facetious with my question or statement regarding nut grabbing. If you don't have access to the inner part of the frame then you absolutely have to drill all the way thru or go with the threaded rod welded to the frame approach.
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:50 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Damn, I had to actually look up what "facetious" meant and I assure you I wasn't being facetious with my question or statement regarding nut grabbing. If you don't have access to the inner part of the frame then you absolutely have to drill all the way thru or go with the threaded rod welded to the frame approach.
After checking the chance that I misspelled one word for another with a different meaning, are you sure that you were not being facetious instead of facetious?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:56 PM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Ah now I understand the question. No, I cannot grab onto anything because it is a boxed frame totally enclosed with no access except by drilling through in both sides. Dave I like your suggestion on welding a bolt but unfortunately I don't have one so drilling through sounds like the only option. I didn't know if a self tapping screw would be strong enough.
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:57 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Some prior owner tried to install one of those crossbars on mine as if it was some kind of giant sheet metal screw mounting into the hollow frame surface with no nut on the other side, of course. Epic fail. Nice to see some legit options to repair it before I lose track of the parts. I like the weld-on scheme. Thanks!

------ Follow up post added October 29th, 2015 05:00 PM ------

Quote:
I didn't know if a self tapping screw would be strong enough.
Hmmm, maybe that's what mine actually was. Whatever it was, it didn't hold up.
Old October 29th, 2015, 08:03 PM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Some prior owner tried to install one of those crossbars on mine as if it was some kind of giant sheet metal screw mounting into the hollow frame surface with no nut on the other side, of course. Epic fail. Nice to see some legit options to repair it before I lose track of the parts. I like the weld-on scheme. Thanks!

------ Follow up post added October 29th, 2015 05:00 PM ------

Hmmm, maybe that's what mine actually was. Whatever it was, it didn't hold up.
Steven any pics of your set up and failed parts? What kind of sidesteps do u have?
Old October 29th, 2015, 08:03 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I wasn't being deliberately flippant or inappropriate. Funny how a typed message looses its meaning where a verbal conversation would have been so easy to understand.
Keep your hands out of your pants and get a spanner on the 6 sided bolt tightening device that threads onto the bolt and as Robert mentioned, use some nice sized fender washers.
Old October 29th, 2015, 08:25 PM
cowboy
steven

Quote:
Steven any pics of your set up and failed parts? What kind of sidesteps do u have?
Well, the steps sort of look like fold-down dust pans & they have a black ribbed tread with an all-black LR oval logo in the center. The end of the crossbar supporting the remaining step on that side of the rig has a bolt or screw running thru it with a hex head that fits a 13mm wrench & it definitely doesn't go all the way thru the frame. Did your steps come with anything like self-tapping screws that a 13mm would fit & aren't long enough to go all the way thru the frame?

It could be that mine hasn't held up bc of the need to remove & re-remove it in order to service & re-service the fuel pump over the years, which is how I became acquainted with it in the first place.
Old October 29th, 2015, 08:32 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
... I assure you I wasn't being facetious with my question or statement regarding nut grabbing. .
LOL - sig material
Old October 29th, 2015, 08:32 PM
cowboy
steven

Old October 29th, 2015, 09:12 PM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
You have the fold down side steps. I have the long fixed, tubular sidesteps. My steps came with no hardware or instructions.

Thanks Dave and Rob and others that helped me with my questions.
Ed

ps this thread has been a fun to read
Attached Images

Old October 30th, 2015, 10:11 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

don't drill a hole .... weld on a bolt
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I wonder if perhaps you have it set up wrong. Usually thise things borrow an existing bolt hole. In any event, if you can't use an existing hole, install a riv nut in the side of the chassis. A fine thread sheet metal screw would work too but the riv nut would be a little better. The only stress on those fasteners will be from vibration or if you whack the step on a rock or tree stump.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions