Dreaded Emissions Test and P1317- ABS Rough Road - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
d90xj
J Phillips

Dreaded Emissions Test and P1317- ABS Rough Road

I had an Emmisions test recently on my '97 SW and failed because my Engine Light came on just as the Technition was driving my 90 over the treadmill bumps to get to the test equipment. No sniff test here, as long as it has an OBD-II port, they hook up to that. Any check engine or service engine light on at the time of the test will cause an automatic failure. The Engine Light is do to a persistant Speed sensor problem triggering P1317 ABS Rough Road Line Low Fault. I have a OBD-II scanner and have just been clear the faults out. I have cleaned the speed sensors in the front and back. I keep getting the fault again and again. I have noticed that while the front speed sensors filt all the way in flush into the swivel ball housing, the rear speed sensors stick out of their sockets by about 1/3 to 1/2 inch. I have tried pressing and them in but they just don't seem to fit in flush. I measured how deep the socket hole is, and if I press the sensors in any more, they will hit the sensor ring. Does this seem correct? Are they suppost to stick out like this. I am the second owner of the 90. I am not sure if the sensors were replaced in the past or not, and if the wrong ones are installed in the back hub assemblies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2004, 11:18 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Do a topic search!

Long post April 18, 2004 on subject.

I don't know how to, of even if I am allowed to link to it.

MH
Old October 24th, 2004, 11:10 AM
d90xj
J Phillips

I believe the tread you are referring to is: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2312 . I have read that tread several times, and that's what first pointed me to diagnosing my problem. Unfortunately, I didnít see any mention in that tread about my question about the back sensors. My question is do the back sensors sit completely flush in their sockets or are they supposed to stick out of the sockets like mine do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2004, 01:23 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

I would pull them out and clean them , then make sure they are not damaged. My sensors all set up about 3/8 of an inch.

There is a retaining clip that makes sure the sensor does not set to low. The air gap between the sensor and the slotted wheel is critical. If they are flush, they may have been damaged.

hope that helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions