Draining Oil Made Easy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Draining Oil Made Easy

I did not know if this goes here or misc chit chat, but since it is suedo-technical, I thought I would post here. Recently someone asked about draining oil, so I shot a quick pick of what I use. It is just a thin piece of aluminum that I literally JAM up between the transmission and tie rod. It has a slight curve and the oil just shoots onto it and slides into the drain pain. Best of all, it shields it from the wind which always blows in Boulder and keeps the driveway relatively clean. It is best to hold onto the piece when the oil first hits it just to make sure it is steady, then I go about my business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	357  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:23 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Nice little tip.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:45 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
While on the oil subject... I set out to change mine yesterday. Last change was done at a dealership while it was in for something else. After draining the oil, I realized that some dimwit had gone way past the "hand tighten only" rule on the filter. I spent 4 1/2 hours trying to remove it! I went out and bought strap wrenches, even drilled a hole through it, jamned a screwdriver in to give me more leverage. Worst of all, now it couldn't be driven! Needless to say, I was pi$$ed off, worn out, and covered in oil. I had it towed in, and it even took the shop an hour to remove it! So.... be careful not to over-tighten the filter!!!
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:14 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

NICE!
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally posted by Burke
While on the oil subject... I set out to change mine yesterday. Last change was done at a dealership while it was in for something else. After draining the oil, I realized that some dimwit had gone way past the "hand tighten only" rule on the filter. I spent 4 1/2 hours trying to remove it! I went out and bought strap wrenches, even drilled a hole through it, jamned a screwdriver in to give me more leverage. Worst of all, now it couldn't be driven! Needless to say, I was pi$$ed off, worn out, and covered in oil. I had it towed in, and it even took the shop an hour to remove it! So.... be careful not to over-tighten the filter!!!
'been there, done that!! it took me 2 days once to get a deal-installed oil fliter off a Porsche 944 I had. Unlike a D90, there's no clearance around the filter at all to work with. 'broke a couple of oil filter wrenches; eventually had to rip most of the filter off, leaving the baseplate, which I cold-chiselled into two pieces.

I think most of these cases are due to the installers forgetting to coat the outer gasket with oil, before screwing on the filter.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:39 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Yes, I now know all the inner workings of an oil filter! I think I still have some in my hair... I hadn't thought of them not rubbing some oil on that seal first, I bet that did it....
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:58 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Draining oil: I use a long funnel and one of those large (10qt), plastic pans with a spout. The funnel also catches the plug.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
These are great ideas! I just wish I had heard them before last weekend. I just changed the D's oil for the first time, and it was the messiest oil change ever. Who ever decided to put the oil plug in the side of the oil pan anyway??
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:55 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I use a drainplug:

http://www.difflock.com/drainplug/index.shtml

It kicks arse!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:44 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Take the oil filter box and spread it open to look sort of like the alum peice above and it does the same thing.

I personally like my oil filters tight.

Ron
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Will, I have been looking for just that! Thanks!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:53 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I just did some quick math and I have changed my oil about 22 times and cry everytime because of the mess. I am glad someone got smart and figured out a way to cut down on the spillage.

I think the drain plug is on the side to keep it from getting scraped of on a rock..
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:11 AM
cbkearney
Chris Kearney
Pile of Parts

2 questions

Are there any US distributers of the drainplug?

and

What is the thread size and pitch on a V8 Land Rover?

CB Kearney Fine Woodworking
250 Canal St
Lawrence, MA 01840

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 5th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I know I have seen the drain plugs at the Auto store but they are all American. If I get around to chaining the oil this weekend I will have to take the plug to the hardware store to find out the pitch and size.
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:38 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
One thing to consider about the drain plugs are the ease in wich they get hung up on rocks. They are nice but I personaly wouldn't use one when off roading.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
drain