Double CV drive shaft ... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 11th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Double CV drive shaft ...

Quick question before I order ...

I have a 3" lift giving me some vibes at 65 mph and after going through the usual suspects I am left with the front drive shaft.

Now my question is should I go Tom Woods or GBR. Anyone have had any experience with either of these please enlighten me and by any chance if someone has all the measurements and they want to share ...

Thanks !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Have one of each. Both are good units.. I like the new Tom Woods units because you do not need the adapter anymore on the t/c side.
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:33 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Out of curiosity what is your front pinion angle sitting at with that amount of lift?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
Have one of each. Both are good units.. I like the new Tom Woods units because you do not need the adapter anymore on the t/c side.
this is also now true for GBR...
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:24 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I'm a big TW fan and they're all I've run in what seems like forever. I have had opportunity to try others, they get swapped out for TW.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

JE Reel. Cheaper and more betterer.

At least cheaper if you drop my name.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:36 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Now you're being a driveshaft whore.... I need a new shaft for the rear of the 110.. I'll give you're shop a call to have a looksee.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor View Post
Now you're being a driveshaft whore.... I need a new shaft for the rear of the 110.. I'll give you're shop a call to have a looksee.
I got a shaft for you right here.

Call Jim. Tell him what you do and what you did for me and he will get you down low.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Oooooookkkkkkkkk !

New option... I will give Jim a call for sure tomorrow and see what he has to offer ... I'm not a big bargaining person, I just want good quality I can trust.

Thanks all !

Pat

Old August 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
Oooooookkkkkkkkk !

New option... I will give Jim a call for sure tomorrow and see what he has to offer ... I'm not a big bargaining person, I just want good quality I can trust.

Thanks all !

Pat
Tell him that you need a good price because David with the yellow rover said he would give you one. Wait till you see how awesome the dc joint is!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:29 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

What makes the J.E. Reel DS better? Just curious, not casting doubt.
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
What makes the J.E. Reel DS better? Just curious, not casting doubt.
Thats a legit question. They are not better, they are more betterer.

Higher angles off the cv, much tighter balance tolerance, thicker wall steel for rocks. But the most important thing by a lot for me was that he will build a custom shaft specifically for your application for no more money, and it will be the beefiest shaft you can get anywhere for that application. The abuse I have put mine through is impressive, and it didn't even vibrate at 75+mph with 6.20 gears. lol.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 17th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Thats a legit question. They are not better, they are more betterer.

Higher angles off the cv, much tighter balance tolerance, thicker wall steel for rocks. But the most important thing by a lot for me was that he will build a custom shaft specifically for your application for no more money, and it will be the beefiest shaft you can get anywhere for that application. The abuse I have put mine through is impressive, and it didn't even vibrate at 75+mph with 6.20 gears. lol.
Gave a call to Jim at Reel and was very cool to deal with, will be ordering from them next week and was wandering if I needed to specify anything in particular than a Flange to Flange Double Cardon driveshaft with 27.5" standing length with Rover bolt pattern ?

Thanks !

Pat

Old August 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
Gave a call to Jim at Reel and was very cool to deal with, will be ordering from them next week and was wandering if I needed to specify anything in particular than a Flange to Flange Double Cardon driveshaft with 27.5" standing length with Rover bolt pattern ?

Thanks !

Pat
Hey,

Just be sure about the lenth. Ideal is about 2in showing on the slip shaft at ride height. Also, be sure if you are running drastic down travel vs. up to let him know. Last thing, these trucks have two different bolt patterns on the front output of the t-case. Be sure that you know which you have on there and let him know. I swapped mine to get the bigger later version. I don't have the years in my head anymore, but he will understand. One of the rover guys here I am sure has the specific info.

Other than that, great choice! Cheers

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions