Dot4/Brake/Clutch/PS/etc fluid leak from front driverside? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 10th, 2010, 10:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dot4/Brake/Clutch/PS/etc fluid leak from front driverside?

So...I did a big trip from VA to NC and back (350 miles each way). Immediately upon arriving back to VA, parked my 110 300tdi in the driveway for 2 days and did not move it. Went out today to back it out, and there's a 12" x 8" stain of what appears to be Dot4/brake/clutch/??? fluid on the front driverside. Smaller than would indicate catastrophic failure, but obviously big enough to be concerned.

Was kind of tough to determine where it was dripping from, but *appears* to be coming down the driverside of the block (300tdi), hitting the top of the front driverside axle, and then dripping off the bottom - about 10-12" in from the ball joint. I checked the clutch resevoir (even though the drip was way forward), and all was clean. The brake resevoir looks good from a level standpoint, but it a little off the "max" line (but still way full). Other thought was maybe power steering fluid?

But everything looks topped up...will need to reassess in the morning/daylight and get in to clean what was coming off the bottom of the axle, then see if I can determine the source of the leak. The odd thing was it definitely looked like something was coming from down the side of the 300tdi and THEN hitting the top of the axle directly, then dripping off the bottom. But was definitely some sort of a lighter brake/Dot4-ish fluid, rather than heavier normal oil.

Any input/thoughts/likely cause from the resident experts out there?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2010, 10:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Coolant?
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:17 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah I thought too at first...but I took a clean, white, papertowel and hit the stain on the ground...what came away looked like that trademark Dot4 brown tinge to it. Plus, it felt slippy to the touch like Dot4 (versus coolant which does have some lubricating qualities, but is more water-based). Unless for some reason the coolant was VERY dirty and lost it's green-ness...but I'll triple-check it all in the am.

The coolant resevoir for this truck is on the passenger-side as well (leak was on the driver-side), otherwise I would have thought it was the overflow valve from the coolant running hot/expanding on the long trip home.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2010, 11:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would taste it to see what it was. They all taste different (brake, ATF/PS, coolant).

Ron
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
errr....should be able to discern those 3 without tasting. they look quite different...

just sayin.

if it is brake fluid, you should be able to make the puddle grow by pumping the brakes while parked.

A leak in that area should be easy enough to locate visually. Find the highest point where there is evidence of leakage, and start by checking that component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I would taste it to see what it was. They all taste different (brake, ATF/PS, coolant).

Ron
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:10 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

It may be the p-gasket. It can do funny things... like leak only after a long haul.

That is unless you are sure it is brake fluid, but I cannot see how brake fluid is coming down the drivers side of the block.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:12 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I should taste like chicken..
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:05 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
like leak only after a long haul
x2. The long trip factor point at coolant leak.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ok, I am leaning towards a coolant leak myself...returned to the truck today, and NO LEAK present. Which tells me it must've spewed out stuff when I parked it right after the trip. The only thing still throwing me is there is still a residual stain on the driveway (typically coolant evaporates after a couple days I thought?). BUT...that could be because it mixed with oil/etc on the block I'm guessing.

Anyhow, I took a couple of quick pics (crappy camera phone, didn't have my good camera with me) and attached below. After pulling the rubber TDI cover off there was quite a bit of residual liquid on top...tough to tell exactly what it was though since it was mixed with other "stuff".

Pic#1: top of engine, cover off
Pic#2: closeup of back of engine, towards firewall (though, this is NOT where the leak is coming from, but is still wet...could be working it's way up front I guess?)
Pic#3: driver-side of block, directly in line with the leak...as you can see it's plenty wet
Pic#4: sort of related, there is a big pickup tube/hose coming off the block to the radiator, this appear to be "damp"...which I thought odd.
Pic#5: closeup of the "damp" hose.

Excuse the crude-ness of the above descriptions/etc, my first TDI so trying to get the lay of the motor/etc.

A COUPLE OF FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS:

1) Steve ("D90user") said it may be the p-gasket, not being familiar with this I Google'd it and found this thread: http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f49/p-...how-91258.html. Looks pretty basic repair, I'll try to narrow down the leak moreso this week...may even powerwash the block to narrow this down. BUT...based on my pics is that in line with the p-gasket leak? It really does seem to coming from the top, working it's way down the side of the block, dripping directly onto the axle, and then the ground.

2) Ironically I was actually going to be doing a coolant flush on this ASAP, but will wait until I narrow down the source of the leak so I'm not draining twice. However, I was having an issue finding the drain plug on the radiator and read another post (
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ght=drain+plug) that referenced the drain plug on the block. Is that the drain plug in question on my Pic#3 that shows the side block? Just curious before I started unbolting random things...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	27492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	27493  

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	27494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	27495  

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	27496  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Update...I cleaned everything off yesterday and let the truck sit in the driveway overnight untouched. Came out this morning, and it does look like you guys were right - the P-Gasket was the culprit. Wet all around that area and dripping down on the housing underneath. So...the plan is to order the parts either from RDS or RN or AB, get them in-hand, and then tackle the job hopefully either next week or next weekend. First time with this, so I may keep the "local channels" open for other D90 guys in case I need some help/advice/hands/etc.

Quick question for the group though - I was supposed to roadtrip for the week before Memorial Day (nothing crazy, maybe 200miles each way). IF I don't get to this fix, but keep up watching the coolant levels/etc, will this P-Gasket turn into catastrophic failure rather quickly? Or do I have a grace period here where I can drive it without too much concern?

------ Follow up post added May 14th, 2010 01:47 PM ------

PS - the liquid initially did look brown from the stain on the driveway, but I think that was because the coolant is in need of a change...which is what threw me off initially with what the fluid was.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, clutch