Dormobile info needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Hudson
Hudson
1987 110 200Tdi

Dormobile info needed

I ordered a new Dormobile conversion kit from the factory a while ago and they forgot to send the rectangular frame that is initially used to make the roof cut-out, then provides rigidity to the roof and attaches the canvas. They were supposed to have sent the part a month ago, but it hasn't arrived and now they're not answering my emails.

Long story short, I'm wondering if anyone has dimensions/specs for this piece so that I can just make one and get my truck going again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wonder if its the same set up Terriann has on her 109.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:33 AM
javelinadave
-
-

At the very least call your credit card company and start the complaint process. Nothing motivates a business more than withholding payment for something that has already been shipped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2013, 11:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/roof.html

Pics from Teriann's site should show you what is there.
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Hudson
Hudson
1987 110 200Tdi

Dormobile lists 110 and 109 kits separately, so there must be some difference. While Terriann's Dormobile page will probably be a helpful guide for assembly, I'm more in need of specific dimensions for the piece. I'm really surprised by the situation with Dormobile, as they were very quick and thorough with communication both before purchase and during the shipping/importation process.
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:09 PM
evilfij
evilfij

The difference is between 109/early 110 and later smooth roof 110.

Which do you have?

I have a 109 roof I plan to transfer to an early 110 ribbed roof without alpine windows.
Old July 12th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Hudson
Hudson
1987 110 200Tdi

I have the early 110 ribbed roof (1987) with alpine windows. The Dormobile rep said that they had to make a new type of frame (the now missing piece) for my application because they had not made a top for my model before. So are you using a 110 roof for your conversion? If so, can you measure your frame and snap a few photos?
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:00 AM
tpond
Toby Pond

I have a smooth roof 110 Dormobile. I would be happy to take pictures and take measurements for anything that you need. Let me know specifically how I can help.
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Hudson
Hudson
1987 110 200Tdi

tpond: Thank you very much! The part I'm missing is the rectangular metal frame that is directly attached to the vehicle's roof. If you picture the conversion being done, this frame is placed, the outline traced, and the initial hole cut.

I'm not sure if this part is even visible once the conversion is finished. It's probably covered with some nicer looking trim pieces. The dimensions are the most important, but if the cross section is visible or if there are any holes drilled into the sections, it would be helpful to know their placement.

P.S. - cool that you have a 110 Dormobile
Old July 12th, 2013, 01:18 AM
tpond
Toby Pond

I will get some pics and dimensions tomorrow afternoon. Keep in mind that mine is a smooth roof.
Old July 12th, 2013, 10:47 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I can measure the hole in my 109 roof for you this weekend. I plan to transfer it over to a ribbed, no windows, 1983 roof.
Old July 13th, 2013, 02:17 AM
tpond
Toby Pond

So I had a minute to take some pics. Take a look and let me know if there is something else specific that I can get for you.

The frame looks like it is made out of 4 very simple pieces of sheet metal. Each piece has a horizontal portion and a formed edge that is vertical when installed. The shorter pieces that run from side to side are 5" wide on the horizontal portion, and the vertical lip is 1.25". The longer pieces that run front to back are 1" on the horizontal portion and 1.25 on the vertical.

Overall opening is 42.5" wide, and 67" long.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/bxsBL
Old July 14th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Hudson
Hudson
1987 110 200Tdi

Wow thank you so much! That does look like a simple piece to replicate and the dimensions are exactly what I needed. I'm having this conversion done by my trusted body shop and I'm going to forward all the photos over to him so that he can see how it all goes together without having to "translate" the instructions from proper English to US. In more ways than one, I hope it didn't take much of your time to get the top up and take those photos. I'm curious where you sourced the interior lights. Are they battery powered? Also do you have the old style kitchen unit in there? It's hard to see in the photos. I bought Dormobile's last repro kitchen unit for my conversion as well so I'm curious to see how it mounts up in a Defender.
Old July 15th, 2013, 07:50 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Question for Toby...

Toby:
Did a search and didn't find a thread on converting a 110 roof for a Dormobile top, so thought I would ask...

Did you do the roof conversion yourself using a 109 Dormo top?
We have a 109 Dormo top and want to make the conversion ourselves onto a 110 roof.

You can PM me or start a new thread so we don't hi-jack this one or Hudson may think it is appropriate to continue in this direction. It's technically his thread.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
We need a full thread on this conversion! BTW, Dormobile is a very credible company, but the Brits are HORRIBLE at responding to email...almost all of them. Just not European culture yet it seems. They are very good with the phone though, so I would call them to get it sorted.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:56 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Worked all weekend and never made it to the garage to measure. Will try again tonight.

From what I could tell, swapping the bits from a 109 roof to a ribbed 110 roof looked pretty easy. The only difference between the two rooves I could discern was the front windscreen part. Everything else seemed to just be a matter of cutting, re riveting the reenforcements etc.
Old July 15th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Hudson
Hudson
1987 110 200Tdi

Well it turns out that the frame came in at the end of last week (about a month after it was sent). The shop owner wasn't there, and one of the workers signed for it and didn't tell him. While I'm not happy about the part being accidentally left out of the kit, I did want to clear Dormobile's name and let everyone know that they corrected their error. I've asked the shop owner to take some photos of the process and I'll get them posted for those who are curious about doing this conversion. Hopefully they can help someone out in the future.
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Please post pictures of your project. Dormobiles, new or old or a combination of both, are very special.
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:33 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Well it turns out that the frame came in at the end of last week (about a month after it was sent). The shop owner wasn't there, and one of the workers signed for it and didn't tell him. While I'm not happy about the part being accidentally left out of the kit, I did want to clear Dormobile's name and let everyone know that they corrected their error. I've asked the shop owner to take some photos of the process and I'll get them posted for those who are curious about doing this conversion. Hopefully they can help someone out in the future.
This is really good news for you.

Since you are doing this as a project, could you please start a thread under build up and restores?
Would love to follow it as am sure there will be a substantial following.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:35 PM
tpond
Toby Pond

Hudson: I am glad you were able to find the parts.

- I do not have any cabinets. I would love to see what yours looks like when you get it in.

- Those lights are from Harbor Freight, are held in by Velcro, and battery operated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions