Dormobile info needed - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:48 PM
hplp
hugh
'95 defender dormy, '87 90 pickup

Hi,

You can fit a older series dormobile roof to a 90/110. Thats what I did.

When i did mine I replaced all the steelwork in the roof itsef with stainless.
From memory, the main difference is that the point at which the roof changes angle to flat is at a different length between the series and 110.

Hope you like,
H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1993.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	76335   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12428.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	76340  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:21 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplp View Post
Hi,

You can fit a older series dormobile roof to a 90/110. Thats what I did. H
Hugh: Nice job.
Is it Ok to PM you questions as this is one of my next projects... fitting a 109 Dormo top to a 110 roof ?
BTW: the blue top/bodywork match is a nice touch.

Just have to ask: is the picture at the Old Head of Kinsale?
My aunt owns some property in that area and it looks similar to pictures she has...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:30 PM
hplp
hugh
'95 defender dormy, '87 90 pickup

Hi,

The first photo is actually on one of the Normandy landing beaches. I cant remember which. I was living about 30 miles from the old head but am now in NZ for 6 months.

P.M. me anytime. I'll help any way I can. My conversion involved alot of fabrication as the steel had stopped holding hands in many places.

H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Hudson
Hudson
1987 110 200Tdi

Well today was the big day. The body shop called to let me know that the Dormobile was finished. I picked it up and checked everything out briefly, but haven't had much time yet to get it out and take better photos. The shop owner promised that he'd send photos of the process, and when he does, I'll post them here. He had a lot of complaints about the difficulty of the conversion, both from the standpoint of fit and finish of the parts provided, and lack of detailed parts list and instructions. At any rate, it's done now and I'm very happy with the result. Here's a teaser photo for now:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mydormobile.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	78189  
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:41 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Well today was the big day... it's done now and I'm very happy with the result. Here's a teaser photo for now:
Looks really good from a distance.
Please put up the detailed photos when you have time and the shop makes them available.

We have a similar project here and could use the visual examples.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old August 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM
charlesteton
Charles Teton
2011 Defender 110 Dormobile Camper

Thanks for your photos, looks nice.

Has your problems been with Dormobile UK? Jim Bullock is usually really good at getting back next day, with me anyway. I know Dormobile are now owned by SHB 4x4, a mega leasing and hire company who have about 10,000 Defenders, which I think Jim runs as well. The owner of SHB is a Land Rover nut and saved Dormobile from the same fate as many of the other conversion companies.

Dormobile have two engineers, who do most of the work. Old style engineers who have been there for ages. They also bought out Carawagon and I believe they still have two Carawagon tops for sale, if anyone is interested, they fit 109's I believe.

I don't work for them but have had a Dormobile roof put on my 2011 Puma Defender not long ago. I've also been working on a new product they are going to offer flat packed, its for the Defender with 5 seats. It basically means you get a kitchen unit one side with alcohol two burner stove and water and a bench seat which when the second row seats are folded down give you a really neat double bed. Lots of storage and the vehicle still keeps the 5 seats. I've been running around with a couple of versions of the prototype.

Regarding the rectangular roof, there are a lot of reinforcements when mounted to the roof, which would probably make it quite difficult to fit.

I'm just about to put my Puma in for a custom roof cage, should be interesting!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4035418864.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	78285  
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Once I got a hold of dormobile (best to call) I got the parts I needed without issues.

Great for them to keep it alive.
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:53 PM
charlesteton
Charles Teton

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Once I got a hold of dormobile (best to call) I got the parts I needed without issues.

Great for them to keep it alive.
There is someone else just starting to do roofs in the UK and a few in Germany, which do pop up roofs, the complete roof like the newer VW's but they are all 7,000 which is just too much, Dormobile is quite a bit less than half that cost. Photo of new UK roof:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-388959467.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	78286  
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM
charlesteton
Charles Teton

PS This roof is not made by Dormobile!
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:45 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Yeah just saw a short article about them in the LRO mag. I think it was under the "Whats New section".
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesteton View Post
There is someone else just starting to do roofs in the UK and a few in Germany, which do pop up roofs, the complete roof like the newer VW's but they are all 7,000 which is just too much, Dormobile is quite a bit less than half that cost. Photo of new UK roof:
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Hudson
Hudson
1987 110 200Tdi

I want to clarify that I didn't have a problem with Dormobile or their contact Jim. He was always quick with advice and gave as much help as someone can from another continent. My body shop owner's complaint was regarding the fit and finish of the kit. I think he was expecting a bolt on kit and it turned out to need a lot of alteration especially with my vehicle having the ribbed roof. I think that Dormobile is accustomed to doing the conversions in house and thus provides VERY basic text-only instructions and no parts list. I read their instructions ahead of time and it seemed straightforward, but when the huge crate full of parts arrived, it was difficult to figure out what was what (especially with the missing frame - see previous posts) and how everything was going to fit together. I'm very happy with the conversion and the end product is just what I was expecting.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:59 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Anyone know how to get in touch with Hudson?
Looks like the last time he logged in was March of this year.
I am about to restore and move a Dormobile roof from a 109 top to a 110 top.
Would love some pictures of those that have already been through this process.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions