Dopey question about fabricated exhaust - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 18th, 2005, 02:02 PM
solihul
Rover

Dopey question about fabricated exhaust

While I wait for my stock 110 RHD Diesel system to arrive from jolly old England (it's going to take almost a month to arrive!) I fabricated a simple system to keep the car quiet enough to drive around town. The only problem is that the way the temporary exhaust pipe exits the muffler it's sitting just about center under the gas tank and only an 1/8th of an inch or so away from touching the tank. Anyone think this is a serious issue with regard to heat? It does not touch the tank but it's darn close and it makes me a bit worried - then again it's a diesel and I don't think the fuel is anywhere near as volatile as gas.

Your opinions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2005, 05:59 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
If you need to ask.......... it shows you aren't happy about it.
At the very least it's going to heat the fuel up quite a bit and make it expand so a full tank could overflow.
Why don't you fabricate the pipe so it finishes up further from the fuel tank.
Your insurance might not view such a modification too kindly if you burn your truck to the ground
Old October 21st, 2005, 07:44 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

re:Dopey question about fabricated exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
If you need to ask.......... it shows you aren't happy about it.
At the very least it's going to heat the fuel up quite a bit and make it expand so a full tank could overflow.
Why don't you fabricate the pipe so it finishes up further from the fuel tank.
Your insurance might not view such a modification too kindly if you burn your truck to the ground
Had a similar situation on my Mercedes G series when I upgraded the gas tank. The plastic 20 gallon tanks actually route the exhaust THROUGH the plastic tank. Odd, but true. When I converted to a turbo-diesel, I had to use 1/2 inch bigger diameter exhaust tubing which placed the exhaust much closer to the plastic. Not as close as you're going though.

Mine was probably 1/2 inch or a touch less. The gas tank came with an aluminum shield with insulating material. Insulating material against the exhaust pipe, aluminum on the tank side. After 3 years that way, no problems at all to date and I've stopped freaking out over it. At 1/2 an inch, I think you can fabricate enough protection to be OK. At 1/8 of an inch, I think I'd be nervous even with some protection wedged in there. With no protection at all between pipe and plastic, I'd be freaking out again and wearing fire gear on long trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2005, 08:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Your fine. Diesel is not nearly as flammable as gas. If your nervous, just pick up some insulation tape from Home Depot, and put it on the tank for now.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust

« Burnt D-90 | Vibes »