doors won't open - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2008, 09:52 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

doors won't open

Ok, so this seems simple but it has become a pain. The two rear doors on my 110 wont open using the door handle on the outside nor inside, the locking mechanism seems to function. With the door panel pealed back as far as I can get it without breaking anything, it looks like the inside handle linkage is connected and working; I can see how the lock prevents it from moving when locked. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it woun't release the catch. I am open to any ideas...taking the door off the hinges is not a good one I tried that already.

Tis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
You'll probably have to pull the door card off, and adjust the linkage. I don't have any experience with the SW style D90 doors, but if they're anything like the ones in my Disco, just the slightest adjustment, like half a thread, to the linkage that engages the latch is all it takes to get the door latch to work again.
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
How bad are they rusted? When they rust in the right spot, the linkage won't actuate with either the handle and will simply re-lock. Try rolling down the window, holding the lock button up, and using the outside handle to open the door...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
How bad are they rusted? When they rust in the right spot, the linkage won't actuate with either the handle and will simply re-lock. Try rolling down the window, holding the lock button up, and using the outside handle to open the door...
Rusted bad enough that when I pull hard on the inside door handle I can see the lock mechanism flex and pull towards the handle.

I have tried that combo and even tried to hold my mouth just right.
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hmm, sucko. That combo move is what finally worked for me, and now I can open and close the door pretty reliably using only the exterior handle. Doesn't really matter though, the truck is such trash that there is no point in driving it. I've got a salvageable set of doors and I'll just keep collecting parts until I can get some time this summer to work on the truck.

Old November 27th, 2008, 01:26 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Long flat head screw driver did the trick. Leverage the striker assembly inward and slide the thin flathead further in and lift the catch just a bit. One hour spent on it last night in total frustration, 5 minutes this morning and it popped free...rovers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door