Door wont stay shut or locked - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:20 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Door wont stay shut or locked

I've had difficulty with my drivers door over the past few weeks. The doors are push button doors. First it was tough to get it to lock in the first place. Some not so gentle persuasion got it to catch and it locked fine. This afternoon if finally gave up and wouldn't lock or stay shut. The lock mechanism seems to work fine however I'm wondering if it could be worn and not 'locking' (rotating upward) as much as it should. I messed around with the catch to see if adjusting it made any difference and it did not. That said the catch seems very worn. Is this simply needing a new catch or could there be an issue with the locking part that grabs the catch? I hope I explained this well enough to make some sense out of it.
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:51 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Before you start taking stuff apart, shoot the entire latch with brake cleaner, work the latch so you get the cleaner in there, wait for a few minutes, then shoot it with some spray white lithium grease also while working the latch to with the grease into the latch.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:19 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
Before you start taking stuff apart, shoot the entire latch with brake cleaner, work the latch so you get the cleaner in there, wait for a few minutes, then shoot it with some spray white lithium grease also while working the latch to with the grease into the latch.
X2 had the same problem and it fixed it right up

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:34 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Thanks for the tips. I did that and it did make the latch move more freely. For some reason it's not being engaged by the catch. The old catch is very worn so I'm leaning toward that being the issue. Hopefully I can figure something out to at least get it locked until a new catch arrives
Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:37 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
I'd try it again, use more brake cleaner, wait longer before using the spray grease.
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If the latch in the door is operating correctly, or at least freely, you will need to adjust the striker. It has two bolts that hold it tight. Slightly loosen them so that you can move it a little and adjust the position until it works.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions