Door / Window Leak at Seal & Capping - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 27th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Door / Window Leak at Seal & Capping

I've been reading all the posts for months trying to figure out how to resolve my water ingress problem. The water goes straight down the new window posts that I put in (I even bought a new door top with new door top seal and it still comes straight down through the stud holes and into the cabin.

I was told by one of the guys at RN that all I needed was a new window top and I could just plop it in and should be good. (I bought one and it looks to me as though I can't just plop it in w/o at least a set of sealer pads described below.) I've looked into it some more and believe I need a few things and wondered if you all could tell me if it sounds like I'm headed in the right direction and whether this is the likely source of all my problems.

First, I figured out for the first time today that my door tops may be missing an important part that channels the water to the outside. This is my first D90 and I didn't know that there is a door capping that is supposed to go in between the door bottom and the door top. My door top has always just been the door top (where I can see the painted rivets). I think this is the capping part I need http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...x?code=RRC5034

Second, contrary to what I was told I think I still need to buy the short and long sealing pads. http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...x?code=MTC7549

Based on that diagram that shows the sealing pads are only in the front I'm assuming that the pads and the cappting serve to channel the water away from the post holes and out the the two holes in the exterior.

If anyone can help confirm this and/or explain the way the water channels it would be appreciated and perhaps be helpful to others down the road. Am I on the right track?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2014, 05:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Some pics of what you have would be helpful.
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Photos

I've attached several photos -- at this point I'm throgoughly confused as to whether this capping is the same thing I've already got on there or if it's another piece. Hopefully you guys can review the photos and let me know if I'm missing anything.

Also note that one of the photos includes the two "sealant pads" on either side of the stud hole.

Any thoughts on why I'm having horrible water ingress issues at all 4 posts (i.e., both doors) is welcome. (I do know some water is expected, but this is like a waterfall.)

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	90459   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	90460  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	90461   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	90462  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	90463   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	90464  

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	90465   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	90466  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

While I'm at it I should ask if anyone has effectively used anything other than those two short and long "sealing pads" for the front posts on each window?

And do they only go around the front post as indicated in the Rovers North diagram (linked above)?
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
You definitely don't need the capping. Not sure about those pads either.

But other than being too dark, those pictures look disturbing! In the 2nd to last one I don't see the studs, and the position of the top looks all over the place.

Can you show us a picture of the top not on the door? You mention new studs but something isn't right there.
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
You definitely don't need the capping. Not sure about those pads either.

But other than being too dark, those pictures look disturbing! In the 2nd to last one I don't see the studs, and the position of the top looks all over the place.

Can you show us a picture of the top not on the door? You mention new studs but something isn't right there.
The stud screwed out when I loosened the door top to take photos (you might be able to tell that one end is still attached albeit loosened enough so that I could maneuver the door top to take photos from different angles. Everything is quite secure when I don't have it undone. Sorry for the quality of the photos, but I ran out to the parking garage to take photos while keeping the door propped open with one knee, holding the phone in one hand and trying to keep the door top in a position to take each of the different angled photos. I'm clearly not gifted in the photography dept.
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

I don't know Defenders, didn't they come with roll up windows? Looks to me like you need part #330163 located most of the way down here; http://rovahfarm.com/seriesbodypage3.htm

HTH
gene
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Guess that would explain it. The only things I can come up with are

1. Make sure the bottom seal has the slots oriented so they dump water outward and not inward
2. Put some sealant around the base of the studs and make sure they are secured properly. It sounds like they are too loose and water is coming down the threads.

hth
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Breath View Post
The stud screwed out when I loosened the door top to take photos (you might be able to tell that one end is still attached albeit loosened enough so that I could maneuver the door top to take photos from different angles. Everything is quite secure when I don't have it undone.
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There are two circular drain holes in the channel where the windows slide. Make sure they are clear. If not, the water has no place to go but down the studs. This is my guess as to your issue.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:54 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
This. I still think its going down the threads based on his description.

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	90555

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, window