door tops over tightened or not enough? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 31st, 2008, 07:05 PM
atlawson
Tracy Lawson
94' d90

Angry door tops over tightened or not enough?

I replaced my nuts on my door tops to the quick nuts and have noticed on my passenger door above the door handle a problem! The paint doesn't look right. I guess the best way to descibe it was to imaging you painted a piece of plastic and after it drys, you bend the plastic resulting in the paint to crack or split along the bend. This is what it looks like on my door. It is about 1/2 long and appears to be in the same location as the nut for the window bolt.

Is this a result of over tightening or not tightening enough?

Also is there any suggestion to keep the paint from cracking further?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2008, 07:12 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Hard to believe you could overtighten it. And the force should be distributed along the door top - window bottom interface. Rubber gasket in between? Any rust problems with the door top, that would weaken it?
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:03 PM
atlawson
Tracy Lawson
94' d90

No Rust what so ever on the door. It looks to me even if you left the door tops loose and pushed in on the top and allowed it couldn't do it. The door tops are to tight so there is not that much play in them. I am sorta of lost on this. And yes the rubber gasket is in there. Another thing I have noticed is when it rains water comes out on the inside of the door through the hole where the nut is above the inside door latch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2008, 08:19 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Don't now that the door top stud issue is, but I do know what the water leak is. Over the years sometimes the rubber gasket gets replaced (seal between door and door top). The originals slipped into a groove in the bottom of the door top and had areas cut out of them with the opening going to the outside of the 90. At these openings there were thicker rubber blocks. What this did is when you tighten down the door top it made the water flow out of the door top, across the door capping and then down the outside of the door.
Likely your seal has been replaced and is uncut and/or the little small blocks are missing. This channels the water to the middle of the door and then down the hole in the door down onto the speaker in the front and down on the latch in the back.
If you want to see it happen take the door top off and remove the seal. You'll see the exit holes that allow the water out of the door top. If those passages don't have the original "funnel" to the outside of the car it gets water everywhere inside.

BTW the correct door seal gasket is NLA. The replacements are crap compared to the originals, but in a lot of cases the originals are gone.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:43 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Just throwing an idea out there, did you use a lubricant at anytime on the studs? Maybe leakage of residue lubricant cause the discoloration?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'd need to see a picture to better understand. Not much play? There really shouldn't be any after tightened down.

The leaking is normal btw.
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:00 PM
atlawson
Tracy Lawson
94' d90

I will get some pictures posted tommorrow. There is no play but maybe a slight one once all tight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, door tops, ht