Door Top Studs..... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Door Top Studs.....

Hi,

I have just ordered the stainless steel replacement studs from Matt Hurst today (from the "parts for sale" forem). I am really looking forward to them, as I took my door tops off this weekend, and the original studs have rust......I think if will be a good solution there. I have some questions:

1) When I pull them out and replace them with new, do the studs just fit into the window with a friction? Do they screw in and out of the door tops? I am thinking from the posts that I have read on the stainless steel stud thread, that they just fit by friction. Is there a distance that you push them in, or just push in till they will not go any further?

2) I am having some leaking from the quick nuts inside the door. My window drains are clear. I knew it would be from the stud hole.....when I took off the tops, the little round rubber piece arround the stud was not in as bad of shape as I thought it would be. I tried to replace it with a garden hose washer, but that kept the whole window top a little off the door. Has anyone used a specific part or rubber washer to get a better seal in this area?

It might be a solution to the leaking to put a bead of silicone culk arround that hole.......but that would basically eliminate the ability to take the door tops off.

I think I need to find a soft rubber washer that will fit arround that stud, be larger then the original, AND compress enough to allow the quick-nuts to pull the door top back to the door.

Any thoughts??

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The studs are screwed into the door tops, I used a pipe wrench to get mine out, and mine were also pretty badly rusted.

As far as the leasking, well I have enough other leaks that I kinda don't even notice the windows. But maybe someone else has an idea
Old April 4th, 2006, 12:56 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Pipe wrench and a propane tourch.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Propane tourch?? Yieks. If mine are that stuck, I think I may have (4) stainless wall decorations!

Were the old threads in ok shape to accept the new stainless steel threads, when you finally got them to break loose with the pipe wrench??

Flagg
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:22 PM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

I used an "o-ring" around the studs to prevent leaks, works well.

I used the original nuts for the window studs to remove them, thread one upside down about an inch down, then the other over it to lock them together, put an open end wrench on the bottom nut and break'em loose.

JS
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Leaks, hell I'm thinking of breeding "gold fish" or better yet "tadpoles" !

Bert, to get the old screws out it may take a bit of muscle, I used very large vise grips or a lockable wrench with two people pushing on the wrench, just take your time...

I too bought the stainless steal screws from Matt, I've yet to install (will do this today) & I also use a washer that has a lip, washer goes on screw, lip fits in door top hole but I'm also using the rubber seal that goes on the door (seal between door top & door), the washer with lip & the rubber seal together appear to help a little...
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Propane tourch?? Yieks. If mine are that stuck, I think I may have (4) stainless wall decorations!

Were the old threads in ok shape to accept the new stainless steel threads, when you finally got them to break loose with the pipe wrench??

Flagg
My threads were good to go,I used a bit of penatrating oil to remove the old bolts and sprayed some more in to get the old nes on, but you may want to run a tap in there to clean things up depending on how bad they are.
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Everyone,

Once again - thanks for the helpful advice - when my studs arrive and I take on this project - I will write again if I have additional problems. You all game me many clues about how this project will go.

WELDON - give a follow up post of how your installation went!

Thanks,

Flagg
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Bert,

They fit perfect, an even exchange, just take your time when taking out the old screws if they feel stuck...

Also, when putting in the new screws, use some teflon tape on the end that goes into the door top (it can only help), I'm getting more washers & when I have them I will post a pic so they make more since...
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Ensure you don't screw them in too far -- I made that mistake and warped the bottom channel of the window, resulting in having to rebuild the entire assembly. D'oh!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door