Door top bolt problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Door top bolt problem

So, last weekend I decded to take the door tops off. Since I usually take the whole door this is a new experience for me. Seems that the doors tops had not been removed for 14 years. I get the things off, the bolts are rusted to heck. I order new seals and bolts. I get 3 out of the door tops with not much fuss but the fourth will not budge. I put some grease in there and wait a few days, still no luck. Do it again and today I really put some force on it and POP, the things just starts twisting inside the window. So my question is, what the heck do I do now? I must have broken something off inside that I can not see. Any Ideas?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2004, 09:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Keep spinnning, once the stud is out you can take the nut off the bottom and thread it back in the door top.
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
This might help:

http://www.gulfcoastrovers.com/rover...ions/index.htm

I assume you know about their SS studs??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thanks but I think I didn't do a good job explaining. The Bolt is stuck in the window top. It just spins but will not come out. I think I broke something in the window top. Has anybody had any experience with this??

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:40 AM
javelinadave
-
-

This is probably what you don't want to hear but my guess is that you need to drill out the pop rivets and take apart the wondow frame. I am unaware of any other way to grab the threads that broke off so you can spin off the stud. Only a guess but I am 90% sure that will solve your problem. Good luck and buy some stainless steel studs to replace your rusty steel ones....
Old June 2nd, 2004, 04:28 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Is it an all ali door top or steel with an ali skin?
If its the latter then the door top is junk as they have the stud welded to the frame. take the glass out and cut the door top into small bits and throw it away. You should be able to buy a replacement series door top for not too much money.
All ali door tops have the stud screwed into the frame so it should back out.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Well, thanks, buying a new one would have been an option last week but now I am stuck trying to fix this one.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 3rd, 2004, 04:06 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
What type of door top do you have?
The expensive ali one or the ali clad steel frame type
Old June 3rd, 2004, 04:09 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
What do you need door tops for anyway in sunny CA?
It's only damp, drafty England that you need doortops
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I think I have the cheap ones. Whatever came stock on a 1990 Military d-90 is what I got.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 3rd, 2004, 03:04 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
That figures. They were probably coming to the end of their service life anyway.
I did think that the military 90's had the all ali door tops but someone must have swiped them before you got hold of the truck. they're not all they're cracked up to be (ali door tops), they may not rust but the frames crack instead.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door