Door Speakers? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 18th, 2011, 08:36 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Door Speakers?

I did a search and didn't come up with much. Is it possible, with today's low profile high end speakers, to get them in the doors? If not, where?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2011, 08:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

D90 SWs have them in the doors so I don't see why you can't put them in your 85.
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM
bar11
rob grentz
1994 defender 90

I have a set of marine bazooka 6.5" in my d-90 and work great and in the summer my top is never on rain and shine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2011, 10:39 PM
jbarks1
John B
1995 Defender 90

Front speakers

I have a '95 NAS D90. Maybe my setup will work similarly for you? If not, you can put in spacers pretty easily between the speakers and door panels.

I put these Polk Audio Marine Grade 6.5" speakers in the front door panels and back left and right corners with a Polk Audio amp (under the passenger seat). They sound pretty awesome, sans major bass, and match the interior nicely with their minimalist design. And they're only $99/pair.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...udio&cp=1&lp=2

The one thing I didn't do was Dynamat the front door panels, which definitely is on my short list of things to do. There's a little too much resonance when you bring up any degree of bass, but I think they will sound awesome once the Dynamat is in, and the speakers get awesome reviews on Best Buy. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	41228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	41229  

Old August 18th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Ronanmd1
Jason
1997 D90 HS2.8

110 speakers

Jayz - I recently installed some focal 6 inch 2 ways into bottoms of the front doors below the window winders. In the end I ended up going with a custom speaker mount to be able to mount them into the door since we couldn't find a good way to get them installed otherwise. Clean install and great sound even with the tweeters down low. Adjusted the cross-over to give a bit more high end punch. Balanced with a pair of rears mounted on the boxes behind the rear seats and a 10 inch sub and amp in a custom box....fantastic sound but sacrificed a bit of storage space to get it...think I scared a punk a** in a civic today when I drowned out his bass at the light

Jason
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:13 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Ok great, so it is possible. I want to try a JL audio component set up in front with the mid down low in the door and the tweeter towards the top with either a smaller set in the rear doors or make some of those snazzy custom boxes that fit in the space above the rear wheel well like ECR has with the biggest most powerful speaker I can fit and an Alpine amp to push it all. This plus the 100 square feet of Dynamat Lining the entire truck and I think it may work. Im not looking to bump down the road, I just want to be able to turn it up and still be crisp. Thanks for the help and keep the ideas coming
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:03 PM
bar11
rob grentz
1994 defender 90

Also I have an Alpine head unit and it get rained on and occasionally snowed on it might stop working for an hour or three but once it dries out that thing keep on working?? I don't kno whats in there but its like the energizer bunny or my x-wife i'd put her away wet but she would keep going.........
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Definately dynamat the doors and overlap the frame when you do it. Component speakers are the best option, imho. I mounted the tweeters up on the windshield pillar. Pick your base up with a sub, there's too little air volume in the doors. I'm partial to Polk, but there are others which are equal ( or better). On my 90 I went with a Kenwood marine reciever, so far so good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, speakers