Door seals and top removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 7th, 2014, 03:29 PM
slacker
don slack
1986 ex mod 110

Registry
Door seals and top removal

Hi all, another top question from a newbie. Have an 86 ex MOD with Tithonus cage and hard top. Want to take top off for summer. Looks like I will have to cut the door seals at the windshield and top of the tub to separate the top from the truck. Do I have this wrong? Will I regret it in 3 months when the Washington rains begin? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Why don't you just remove the door seals all together for the summer? In the winter you can re-install the door seals when you re-install the top.
Old July 7th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
Hi all, another top question from a newbie. Have an 86 ex MOD with Tithonus cage and hard top. Want to take top off for summer. Looks like I will have to cut the door seals at the windshield and top of the tub to separate the top from the truck. Do I have this wrong? Will I regret it in 3 months when the Washington rains begin? Thanks!
Don,

No need to cut anything to get the Tithonus hard top off. We've got a couple local Tith owners working on a custom soft top solution and have pulled the fiberglass top off before. Happy to walk you through it if you wanted to make the trip down to Gig Harbor. Jimmy is correct in that you can pull the seals off completely, or if you plan to run "topless" for a while a second set of seals made for the purpose would be a bit nicer.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:18 AM
slacker
don slack
1986 ex mod 110

Registry
Geez, why didn't I think of that. Top is off, seals are saved. I would like to know more about a soft top for a Tithonus. Now to find a tailgate... Thanks all
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:21 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I got tired of my doors rattling when I had the top off my D90 so I got some door seals from a wrecked Disco that I didn't mind cutting and used those saving the original seals for when the top was back on. Just a suggestion...
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:26 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
. Now to find a tailgate... Thanks all
PM sent

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, seals, top