Door seal issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old July 27th, 2016, 02:20 PM
RiftRover's Avatar
RiftRover
Status: Offline
Mike Barnett
110
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 768
Tying to determine if this gap in the door seal lip between the windscreen and the bulkhead is normal. When it rains the water runs down the outside of the seal, crosses over at the gap and then drips off the door catch onto the floor. The door seals are new so not sure how to prevent this. Any wisdom is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1661382811.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	154628  
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old July 27th, 2016, 02:38 PM
El Solis's Avatar
El Solis
Status: Offline
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Livermore, CA USA
Posts: 520
I siliconed mine no leaks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #3  
Old July 27th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,351
Registry
A tube of clear silicone is a Defender's friend....
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old July 27th, 2016, 08:02 PM
Capt Milks's Avatar
Capt Milks
Status: Offline
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 1,789
The factory used a type of putty and tape. Your rubber seal should cover most of it up.
__________________
Land Rover 110
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 27th, 2016, 08:08 PM
CDN38's Avatar
CDN38
Status: Offline
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 897
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
The factory used a type of putty and tape. Your rubber seal should cover most of it up.
Yup. Standard from the factory is cloth tape over top of DumDum (Butyl sealant)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:55 AM
RiftRover's Avatar
RiftRover
Status: Offline
Mike Barnett
110
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Yup. Standard from the factory is cloth tape over top of DumDum (Butyl sealant)
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Figured it wasn't just left open but you never know with Land Rover... The seal covers the gap but the water dripping off the end of the rain gutter runs down the door seal and finds its way through that gap. I'll try silicone and see if that does the trick.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 15th, 2016, 04:25 PM
olsin77's Avatar
olsin77
Status: Offline
Olsin Petro
1999/Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 82
Door seal issue

Hi everyone
Sorry to bring this up again but have a similar problem.
But i have it from the top of the door where roof meets winscreen panel.
I have water leaking from the top of the door down.




Any ideas how i can fix this?

I know how to go crazy with silicone but i don't want to do that this time.

Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 15th, 2016, 04:56 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,882
Is it missing the seal between the windscreen and roof?

I have a seal between my windscreen and roof and have zero leaks (really)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 15th, 2016, 04:57 PM
olsin77's Avatar
olsin77
Status: Offline
Olsin Petro
1999/Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Is it missing the seal between the windscreen and roof?

I have a seal between my windscreen and roof and have zero leaks (really)


You mean that putty? Butyl black?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 15th, 2016, 04:57 PM
CDN38's Avatar
CDN38
Status: Offline
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 897
Registry
Yup, that's a leak alright. I would say it looks like it all the way across the top of the door.

Could be several things, most of them to do with the door position, and not sealing properly. Possibly the striker position is not holding the door firmly against the seal, or the door seal it's self needs to be replaced.

Check the gap around the door when it's closed, it should be even on the sides and top, not tilted in one direction. It should also be flush to the bulkhead and the rear door. You may want to try moving the striker slightly inboard more, so the door squeezes the seal better. Failing that... try replacing the whole seal.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 15th, 2016, 05:01 PM
chuckc4
Status: Offline
chuck b
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 517
Olsin, if your seals are the original ones, then it might just be time for new seals. Water is insidious‚—even a new seal in a Land Rover can struggle against it...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 15th, 2016, 05:01 PM
olsin77's Avatar
olsin77
Status: Offline
Olsin Petro
1999/Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Yup, that's a leak alright. I would say it looks like it all the way across the top of the door.



Could be several things, most of them to do with the door position, and not sealing properly. Possibly the striker position is not holding the door firmly against the seal, or the door seal it's self needs to be replaced.



Check the gap around the door when it's closed, it should be even on the sides and top, not tilted in one direction. It should also be flush to the bulkhead and the rear door. You may want to try moving the striker slightly inboard more, so the door squeezes the seal better. Failing that... try replacing the whole seal.


Hi.
Thank you for detailed reply and your time.
Actually door seal its new. The striker also and the door is aligned. To me is fine and it touches/pushes the seal all around.
I am suspicious of that roof-windscreen frame meet point which is slightly off lined.

I will take pictures maybe tomorrow morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2016 10:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
Olsin, if your seals are the original ones, then it might just be time for new seals. Water is insidious‚—even a new seal in a Land Rover can struggle against it...


All seals are new. This is what makes me scratching my head


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 15th, 2016, 05:15 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsin77 View Post
You mean that putty? Butyl black?
No, it's not putty. It's a neoprene or buna rubber foam closed-cell foam seal, at least 1/4" uncompressed thickness.

I've seen people try to fix this with a tube of silicone, but it's not the right way to do it. If this is a secondhand truck, there's no telling what's sealing the windscreen to the roof.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 15th, 2016, 05:17 PM
olsin77's Avatar
olsin77
Status: Offline
Olsin Petro
1999/Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
No, it's not putty. It's a neoprene or buna rubber foam closed-cell foam seal, at least 1/4" uncompressed thickness.


Right, ok will check if any left of that there.

Thank you a lot!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 15th, 2016, 06:11 PM
CDN38's Avatar
CDN38
Status: Offline
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 897
Registry
Yes, post some pictures.

Was that water down the inside of the door after driving , or after just being parked?

Your door seals, Genuine, or ?? (God, please not Britpart)..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old November 15th, 2016, 06:33 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,882
even britpart door seals wouldnt cause a leak like that. i run britpart door seals left and right and have no leaks.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old November 15th, 2016, 09:07 PM
olsin77's Avatar
olsin77
Status: Offline
Olsin Petro
1999/Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Yes, post some pictures.



Was that water down the inside of the door after driving , or after just being parked?



Your door seals, Genuine, or ?? (God, please not Britpart)..


After being parked but worse wen driving


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old November 15th, 2016, 09:38 PM
CDN38's Avatar
CDN38
Status: Offline
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 897
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
even britpart door seals wouldnt cause a leak like that. i run britpart door seals left and right and have no leaks.
No, Britpart seals wouldn't cause it specifically, but the fit isn't always consistent. It could be considered to be one of the many variables.

If that is the amount of water leaking in while being parked, (the whole length of the door top), there must be no contact between the seal and door top.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old November 15th, 2016, 10:14 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
No, Britpart seals wouldn't cause it specifically, but the fit isn't always consistent. It could be considered to be one of the many variables.

If that is the amount of water leaking in while being parked, (the whole length of the door top), there must be no contact between the seal and door top.
for sure...I would hope that sort of gap would be obvious to the original poster, however!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old November 16th, 2016, 01:51 AM
olsin77's Avatar
olsin77
Status: Offline
Olsin Petro
1999/Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 82
Sorry for the delay because of time zone. Here is 8 am now.
I just checked again. Seal and door have very good contact. I still believe there is water entering from the part where they connect (roof nad winscreen frame)
I will remove seal and check.
When i drive there is more water coming in much more than when parked.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Issue or Charging Issue? icnsltmfg Defender Technical Discussions 4 May 19th, 2016 01:25 PM
Satisfied Badger Fabric Door Seal Users? Auspex Misc. Chit-Chat 10 April 6th, 2007 11:10 AM
rear door seal (bottom) and plate mattdh For Sale - Parts 8 April 2nd, 2006 02:35 PM
Door seal D90user Wanted 1 October 14th, 2005 02:41 PM
Door seal and gutter kit Chris Cox Defender Technical Discussions 11 March 7th, 2004 10:52 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Copyright