door rattles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
1995 Defender 90
door rattles

OK, it's that time of the year, and I've got the convertible top and door tops off. Everything's cool (figuratively, not literally - it's actually hot as can be here in the deep south), but I'm having some rattles that I don't seem to be able to remedy. I've done a few searches on the forum, but couldn't find any guidance on this issue.

What I've got is rattling doors. There's nothing loose internally, nor are the door panels making any noise. It's just that the door closing mechanism is rattling on the door strikers. Looseness in the hinges themselves seems to be minimal, so I'm hoping I'm good there. It's just that the metal door closer is making noise on the metal striker attached to the body.........Is there any way to tighten everything up? Is there a plastic sleeve that's supposed to be on the striker, thereby preventing this metal-on-metal rattle? Everything else on the truck is virtually rattle-free (even the rear tire carrier, which is a total surprise to me!), but the doors get a little aggravating at times.....

Any suggestions?

Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
shane cates
94 d90
I may not be on the right track, but the strikers that the doors hit are ajustable. Loosen the bolts and move them in a bit so that the doors shut a bit tighter....or the doors are not getting to the second notch. If you manually play with the mechanism, the door clicks two times to completely secure itself. It could be an adjustment issue. Also, my speaker magnets rattled against the doors.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

door, rattle