Door popping open - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2013, 09:32 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Door popping open

So last night I opened the front passenger door for the first time in probably 2 months. I then found it would not close no matter how hard I tried.

I adjusted the striker out to the point that I have a 3/4 gap to get it to stay latched. There has to be a better method or way as that draft is freaking cold.

Any and all ideas greatly appreciate.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
So last night I opened the front passenger door for the first time in probably 2 months. I then found it would not close no matter how hard I tried.

I adjusted the striker out to the point that I have a 3/4 gap to get it to stay latched. There has to be a better method or way as that draft is freaking cold.

Any and all ideas greatly appreciate.
Buy a Toyota?!?...So whats changed with the truck while it was sitting...seems odd. Did you lose some shims? are/were any of the components loose? Maybe the catch mechanism is failing and needs replacing. On mine is was a mix when that happened...multiple of failures at once.
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Mine do this sometimes when cold. Lubricating the latches should help a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
This sounds like a lack of lubrication/grease in the latch mechanism. Degrease it, then spray it liberally with lithium.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
did you change door seals or something?
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Avoid lithium. Use a dry lubricant like Silicon esp on latches.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Didn't change a thing with the door. The temp has dropped significantly here though so lubing them sounds like a real good place to start.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:41 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Didn't change a thing with the door. The temp has dropped significantly here though so lubing them sounds like a real good place to start.
Do you still have the nylon bushing on the catch?
Old December 11th, 2013, 02:56 PM
2411D90
Bob Vogler
1995 D90 Fastback ST (Beluga Black)

A long shot and you've probably already thought of this, but if you catch the latch on something while opening the door, the latch will flip open and you need to wiggle the inside door handle to get it to shut.
Old December 11th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Are you sure this was not a 007 vehicle in times past and the door is actually an "ejector door" ??

Seriously, silicon spray the piss out of it with the straw it comes with. The organic volatiles with soften or melt the old greases up too.
Old December 11th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I would change the latch and replace the striker with one with good nylon. I had a similar problem and then the latch seized. I ended up having to cut the striker from the inside. Really annoying repair.
Old December 11th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

My '97 has a plastic part on the striker rod that wears out. The only way to fix it is to replace the striker. Though I have seen on eBay metal units that are made to the same diameter as the plastic component's diameter creates. I think the plastic part is to reduce rattling noise.
Old December 11th, 2013, 07:06 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Know the feeling

Poor Dan struggled with this during VOT. I sprayed the crap out of it and by the time we loaded the truck back on the trailer for the ride home it was latching again. Haven't had any problems since.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old December 11th, 2013, 08:07 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Do you still have the nylon bushing on the catch?
Haven't seen anything nylon in there at all.

I picked up de-greaser and silicone spray. I tripped the latch with the door open, and the metal slider was extremely slow to close. I'm guessing its barely latching since it moves so slowly. Time to lube the shit out of it. Thanks guys

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:26 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

On the catch there is a nylon bushing. Sometimes they crack and fall out. This reduces the diameter of the catch and can cause issues.
Old December 12th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Videoguy
Ron
1997 Defender 90 SW

I had a similiar issue yesterday. Here is how I solved it. The door seal in the area of the striker has a rubber insert in the seal. It is 2-3 inches long The cold temps recently make this rubber very firm, making the door hard to close. I made a slice in the seal and pulled the insert out, cut it in half length wise and re-inserted it. Door now closes like it did last week.
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:04 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I did the degreasing and used half a can of spray silicon lube. Now they all open and close nice and smooth. Oddly they even open better from inside.

Thanks guys!

Unknown Author

716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door