Door mechanism - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2013, 04:25 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Door mechanism

So my door latch stopped working from the inside, outside works fine. I tried pulling on the rod that connects to handle thinking maybe its just not getting enough travel, and that's not it. Sounds like something internal to the mechanism is stripped out

I ordered a oe replacement for fqj103160 for a whopping 24 bucks (seemed really cheap to me and there are plenty of places in the us that have these for sale....hope it's the right part)

Rovers north wanted 130 bucks for the same part

Anyways. I'm hoping this is the issue,...anyone heard of these mechanisms doing this before?

Also I have the door apart, but haven't dug into taking the old one out. Is it a simple straight forward replacement? Anyone have a write up on it?

I see a lot of little things I'm prone to break inside there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:17 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Have you tried just squirting it with WD 40. Could just be stuck somewhere, simple but it may work.
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Look at the pivot points to make certain that the rod connections are un-damaged and correct. The best advice I have is to take photos - good clear photos that give you point of reference to put everything back without resorting to drawings and manuals. The work is not difficult, just time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
So my door latch stopped working from the inside, outside works fine. I tried pulling on the rod that connects to handle thinking maybe its just not getting enough travel, and that's not it. Sounds like something internal to the mechanism is stripped out

I ordered a oe replacement for fqj103160 for a whopping 24 bucks (seemed really cheap to me and there are plenty of places in the us that have these for sale....hope it's the right part)

Rovers north wanted 130 bucks for the same part

Anyways. I'm hoping this is the issue,...anyone heard of these mechanisms doing this before?

Also I have the door apart, but haven't dug into taking the old one out. Is it a simple straight forward replacement? Anyone have a write up on it?

I see a lot of little things I'm prone to break inside there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:50 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Have you tried just squirting it with WD 40. Could just be stuck somewhere, simple but it may work.
I did. Deff feels like something inside is stripped. Just like if you put a wrench on a rounded nut... You feel resistance as you start to pull and then it slips right to the end without anything moving...

Good call on the pics. Will do that as I go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door