Door Locks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 11th, 2006, 10:31 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Door Locks

So my locks wont turn at all. I tried WD40 and dry graphite too and nothing will loosen them up. I have to go through the softop every time to lock and unlock the truck, and the neighbors are starting to look at me shady.

so I ordered new Lock Cylinder from Rovers North. I took the door panel off and got the handle/lock out of the door. do I just start ripping the handle apart? or is there an easier way to do this? or a more technical way to approach this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
So my locks wont turn at all. I tried WD40 and dry graphite too and nothing will loosen them up. I have to go through the softop every time to lock and unlock the truck, and the neighbors are starting to look at me shady.

so I ordered new Lock Cylinder from Rovers North. I took the door panel off and got the handle/lock out of the door. do I just start ripping the handle apart? or is there an easier way to do this? or a more technical way to approach this?
You lock your doors??? Seriously? LOL
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Mike H locks his doors every spring in his garage
http://www.salmons-leap.com/rovering...-2485.JPG.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2006, 12:39 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx25
You lock your doors??? Seriously? LOL
I live in Queens NY, you should see some of my neighbors! i dont trust them.
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:48 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
I live in Queens NY, you should see some of my neighbors! i dont trust them.
Ahh...I feel for you. I don't think the door locks are going to help you though on a softtop. I remember going to Coney Island as a kid, my dad returned to the car after being away from it for maybe 5 minutes to get the camera out of the trunk of his car. The lock was popped and his briefcase and camera...gone! You need a couple Rottweilers guarding in the back of your truck 24x7!
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:59 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx25
Ahh...I feel for you. I don't think the door locks are going to help you though on a softtop. I remember going to Coney Island as a kid, my dad returned to the car after being away from it for maybe 5 minutes to get the camera out of the trunk of his car. The lock was popped and his briefcase and camera...gone! You need a couple Rottweilers guarding in the back of your truck 24x7!
haha, i hear ya! dogs are the best. I am getting an aluminum hardtop for it, so technically it will be harder to get into. and yeah, im sure you can bust open those locks on the defender easy, but its just easy on my mind to know they are locked and i have a hardtop on. plus if they do bust them open i can show my insurance that someone broke into it, instead of trying to justify the huge holes in my softop already on it right now. haha
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:22 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Makes sense! I was thinking about getting a motion alarm system for the ST. I wonder if anyone has one on their D-90. It would be good to know how effective it was.

Maybe ECR can answer your initail post!
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:48 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

There should be a small hole in the handle assembly where the lock cylinder inserts. Stick a pin in that hole and press (you'll feel some resistance, but it will depress.) This should release the lock cylinder and allow you to remove it from the handle assembly. Try leaving the key in the lock cylinder to gain a little "leverage" while trying to ease tumbler out.

Once you've replaced the lock cylinder, you might consider replacing the rubber handle assembly gasket when putting it back together. (try George @ RDS).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door