Door Latch/Top Adjustments - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Door Latch/Top Adjustments

I did a quick search and didn't find what I'm looking for although I'm sure it's been covered before.

I haven't had the hardtop on in a year so I'm not sure if I messed something up along the way taking the door tops on and off over the spring and summer. I put it on this morning and when I drove it I have a lot of air coming in around the doors - a lot more than I remember when I had it on last year. The door tops look like they are bent out away from the truck and aren't sealing around the door seals and the driver's door looks like it isn't closing all the way - from inside I can see daylight through it (in the second photo of the driver's door I am pushing it in and it seals up). The passenger door seals up decently but it is the same as far as the door top - daylight all around the top and back side.

I also noticed when I close the driver's door the lower hinge rattles.

How do I adjust these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0804.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	16177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	16178  

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	16179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	16180  

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	16181  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Jim C figured this out...

IIR, he shimmed the door top seal with pond/shower liner...

I just removed the seal inside bump with a razor blade...it seals as good as my wife's Jetta!

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM
xrover
Len Cater
1997 D90

you are limited on adjustments. The 4 bolts that go into the door pillar adjust most of the alignment of the door. The key is getting it up high enough to clear the sill. Loosen off the 4 allen bolts which will allow you to move the door up. Get the top sit as close in as possible and re-tighten. You may need to re-shim and reset the door strike. Loosen the 2 bolts back and align the shim so the door latch catches the strike bar all the way in. The latch has 2 positions when it closes, and to hold secure it needs to get all the in to the second position. Take your time. Patience is a virtue. You might also want to check if your hinges are still good. There will be a lot of play in them when you open the door (especially the bottom hinge) if they are worn down.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Don't mess with the hinges unless you want to open a can of worms. Have you messed with your hinges before? Have you replaced them with new syle?

Anyway, to solve the door top problem, yeah, you just need to encourage them to lean in a bit. Pix in this thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7130

Does your driver's door shut properly with the door top off? You can loosen the striker on the door jam and move it inwards, but if you're not careful, you'll create a situation where you have to slam the heck out of the door to get it to close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 6th, 2008, 10:23 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Jim,

I haven't done anything with the hinges. I'm pretty sure they are original. At some point someone swapped out stainless screws. I guess what's being said is if I start to mess with them they could basically fall apart? Where do I buy the new style ones?

Thanks for the help with the door top problem. That looks like a simple enough fix that works great. I'm going to pick some up today when I get a chance and work on that this weekend.

The door closes very easily. In fact I don't even need to help it. I know what you mean about it getting too far over and needing to slam it to get it to close. That's how my SW was. The latch would actually make a "pop" when I pressed the button to open it (but it did seal up nicely).

I'll start with the shims on the door top and playing with the striker first and see where that gets me. The only hinge I notice (other than that they are discolored and rusty looking) that is suspect is the the lower one on the driver's door. When I close the door or shake the door at all it rattles and moved around a lot.
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If there is play in the hinge, then thats you problem right there. There shouldn't be any play of any kind. RN and SafariRover sell the new style hinges, but the upgrade isn't that cheap after you buy the hinges and get them all painted up. They are much nicer though.

Its not that everything will fall apart if you remove the hinges, its just that it can be a pain to get it all realigned - and realignment isnt going to help the door top seal unless the hinge is way out of place (in which case the door probably isn't closing very well anyway).

If you want some spare stock hinges, I have some freebies I can send you.

Old November 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Jim,

Thanks for the help. Finally got a chance to pull the door tops off, clean everything and install the shims. I couldn't find any heavy duty pond liner so I bought some 3M double side tape from the parts store and used that. Was about $10 to do. Works great!

I'm going to order some door hinges for my Christmas gift this year I think

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, door latch