Door latch - not latching - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 23rd, 2016, 05:38 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Door latch - not latching

On my 110 station wagon the left middle door has been difficult to lock. You push down on the interior button, it just didn't want to 'click' into locked.

So, I adjusted the latch position (in the door frame) but that didn't help. Then I loosened the hinges and adjusted the door position a little. Now I can lock it but the door isn't latched. You lock the door, tug on the handle and the door opens.

Yes, it will open while driving.

Any quick tips for CORRECTLY adjusting doors & latches?

Mike & Carrie
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:00 PM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
I had the same problems with mine. I had to replace my door mechanism. This thread may help you: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ent-37845.html

The metal catch had worn enough that it didn't hold the latch anymore. I realized this when I compared it to the other door mechanisms and noticed the shape of the metal was different. Good luck.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:39 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
I'll read the other thread.

This door mechanism is only 2 months old. Maybe I need a warranty exchange.

Mike & Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmwong View Post
I had the same problems with mine. I had to replace my door mechanism. This thread may help you: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ent-37845.html

The metal catch had worn enough that it didn't hold the latch anymore. I realized this when I compared it to the other door mechanisms and noticed the shape of the metal was different. Good luck.
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2016, 12:22 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Sometimes the answer is right in front of you. In other words, it's obvious if you just look. And think.

Looking at the pin (bracket) on the frame, I finally noticed the strike pattern is at the extreme farthest out point on the pin. "Hmmm, maybe the latch is blocked by the bracket?"

So I put in two washers, moving the bracket out from the frame. Now it closes securely and easily. And it locks easily.

VICTORY!

Yes, I know, the "correct" solution is probably to leave the bracket where it was and adjust the door closer to the bracket.

But, as a VERY wise Camel Trophy owner once said "Better is the enemy of good!"

Mike & Carrie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	158306  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, door latch