Door key problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2015, 11:26 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Door key problem

Both my door key locks mysteriously started seizing up recently. I am wondering if it's desert dust jamming the mechanisms as I've lubed the cylinders quite frequently. My driver door won't open and my passenger door will open but under resistance but the echutcheon (or what-you-might-call-it) never pops up. Since I broke my last door key and don't have any more spares I ordered some new ones by looking up the correct size. The new door keys however are much larger than what I currently have. The new door keys are about the same size as the ignition key while my existing door keys are much smaller. Any idea which one is correct?

Perhaps this is a good time to re-key so that the ignition and doors use the same key? I will post pictures tonight for comparison. Advice appreciated.
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2015, 11:44 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Carl,
I had the same issue with my door locks. I removed the tumbler and threw them in the ultrasonic cleaner for a short time filled with M-Pro 7. I lubes up the rest of the locking mechanism with silicon spray and put it back together. All is now well.
Old July 21st, 2015, 06:37 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I believe the newer door locks, Puma, have a longer key barrel for the push button doors. Thus the longer door lock key. The older trucks use a shorter barrel and thus a shorter key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2015, 11:26 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Yes that is right Capt. The Puma type door locks are longer so that the single ignition key can do double duty. Earlier doors use the smaller key.
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:27 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Damit. I ordered the wrong replacement key blank then. Where can you get the smaller version blanks? I'll have to tear off the door cards this weekend to see whats up.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:49 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
They should be freely available off of Ebay. If you have the little code tag you can order new keys from Land Rover with that. If not, just buy a complete set of keys and new lock barrels off of ebay. They are cheap for those older, short lock barrels and keys.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 03:03 AM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
"...Both my door key locks mysteriously started seizing up recently. I am wondering if it's desert dust jamming the mechanisms as I've lubed the cylinders quite frequently...Advice appreciated."
Best to use a dry film lubricant, like graphite, for lock cylinders as these types won't attract dirt like the others do, which will cause premature wear.

Regards,
Art
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:57 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

I think you're right. I'm afraid by regularly lubricating the cylinders with an oil based lubricant I have made things worse. I don't think its a coincidence that it got worse after my dusty trip to the Alvord desert. I lubed it right before I left and now its much worse. The oil must be attracting the dust and jamming it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vigil View Post
Best to use a dry film lubricant, like graphite, for lock cylinders as these types won't attract dirt like the others do, which will cause premature wear.

Regards,
Art
-
-
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:54 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Graphite is good but you never know how much the little bottle squirts in.
Too much and it can compact-up and cause problems too.
The best solution I have found is silicon spray.
The aromatics in it help dissolve congealed grease and the silicon leaves a slippery surface on the moving parts.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 12:36 PM
Etienne
Etienne
Tdi 2500 diesel Defender 1985

Registry
In my 40 years of fighting stuck locks I have found that soaking a lock mechanism in benzine (highly flammable) overnight in a closeable plastic bottle and then shaking it hard the next day almost always cleans the lock 100%. Then a spray with silicone and then the silicone blasted away with compressed air is better than anything I have come across. Oiling a lock just attracts all the dust in the air. If the lock is not worn out this almost always solves the problem long term.
Old August 17th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

All great advice. I used a different lube that got sticky when dry which is why they seized. Yesterday I sprayed the heck out of the cylinders with WD-40 and they're working fine again. The problem is that the little doors that are supposed to cover the key slot are stuck in an open position so all the dirt road dust goes straight inside.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions