Door hinge screws corrosion resistance - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2012, 09:52 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Door hinge screws corrosion resistance

WTS: Door hinges and galvy screws.
4 white door hinges (tops w/ screws for mirror)
3 green door hinges (bottom)
Bag of Galv screws (I assume these are for these hinges).

These appear to be unused.
$75.00 shipped in lower 48
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2080.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	47343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2081.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	47344  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 10:17 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Just an FYI the bolts aren't galv. They are factory bolts that literally rust when you talk about getting them wet.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:25 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Just an FYI the bolts aren't galv. They are factory bolts that literally rust when you talk about getting them wet.

Hmmm..ok galvy colored that may rust.
You could PM me next time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:24 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

No they will definitely rust. Why pm? You misstated what you were selling.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

These are zinc passivate coated bolts (why they look galvanized). I have no idea on the rust resistance tho
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:56 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
No they will definitely rust. Why pm? You misstated what you were selling.

It's annoying when members post on threads when they have no intentions on buying.
It happens all the time here.
I appreciate the correction but a simple courtesy PM and I would have corrected the thread.
When I got these bolts I was told that they were galvanized.
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:09 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

If those are td5 hinges I will take them
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd

It's annoying when members post on threads when they have no intentions on buying.
It happens all the time here.
I appreciate the correction but a simple courtesy PM and I would have corrected the thread.
When I got these bolts I was told that they were galvanized.
It's called a forum. People post where they want. At least I kept it on topic. You do know that after a certain amount of time you can't change the original post don't you?
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:18 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

I think you need to STFU and stop posting your lies in someone else's thread. Those bolts are coated, if you want to get super freaking technical it's not galvanized but they are the new style Torx head (TD5 hinges) and they are about as rust resistant as you can get. Way better than stainless because they don't react with Aluminum. The same type of bolts are used on a lot of new cars, they last forever.

Paul doesn't have to change anything, his post is as accurate as can be expected from someone who is likely not a metallurgical engineering corrosion fanboy. I agree with him that the comments from the peanut gallery get old. If you were bringing something of value, maybe, but you're just shitting incorrect info on someone else's thread.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

You know nothing. You don't like the comments then don't list something for sale incorrectly.

I have had multiple sets of these bolts and they aren't even close to galvanized. I have had them rust within a month. I am not a metal expert but I know that they are advertised incorrectly and for that matter the ad stated he didn't even know if they were for the hinges to begin with.

I have bags of these of anyone wants some with rust.

Thanks for adding your worthless two cents though. Telling me to shut the fuck up really kept it on topic.
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:43 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
I agree with him that the comments from the peanut gallery get old. If you were bringing something of value, maybe, but you're just shitting incorrect info on someone else's thread.
Thanks..

------ Follow up post added February 9th, 2012 06:44 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
If those are td5 hinges I will take them
CDeWan,
Sorry there was a buyer in front of you.
Hinges and screws are SOLD.
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:33 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Congrats on your sale. I love how my comment pissed you and oil burner off so much. First with you who listed them incorrectly and weren't even sure if they were for the hinges and secondly with oil burner who clearly knows nothing about the actual bolts in question. It amazes me he thinks I am spouting lies. His metallurgical engineering corrosion fanboy comment was awesome. I'm pretty sure when people buy things they want to know what they are getting and in this case there is a difference.

I think I will paint a bulkhead with silver rustoleum and list it as galvanized. Rustoleum fights rust so listing it as galvanized won't bother anyone but the diehard metal fanboys.

If the buyer of yours needs extra factory ones when those turn to dust, I have tons from the td5 hinges I bought. When he gets sick of the factory garbage I can tell you where to get factory looking bolts (same heads) but in stainless. Probably only the fanboys will want the stainless bolts though.
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:38 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

A picture is worth a 1000 words.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-649481608.png
Views:	63
Size:	877.1 KB
ID:	47345   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3084842159.png
Views:	65
Size:	833.4 KB
ID:	47346  

Old February 9th, 2012, 07:55 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

bjf,
As I noted in post #6 I appreciate your correction if it is indeed correct.
However your post #2 does come across as you shitting on this thread which in my opinion is low class.
The bolts were included as a bonus and I was not sure if these originally came with these hinges - thus for my assumption..
You seem to know a lot - maybe everything...your approach needs work.
If you are indeed trying to help out don't come across as a tool.
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:39 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
As far I can tell this was not my intention. It was an FYI that you were including bolts that were not galvanized but I clearly stated they were factory which you didn't bother doing. If anything I shit on Land Rover for making garbage.

I think this whole post is funny. You were selling hinges for a decent price not diamonds. I shit on your freebee. Be happy I didn't shit on the hinges which you never identified as td5 (in the picture they appear to be) so for all we know they are the older crap type that also rust to shit quickly.

This board really has become a place for babies to cry. Waaaa Waaaa.
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:08 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Glad you sold it Paul.

I don't thing Barry was trying shit on the post, and I don't think Paul was trying to misrepresent. But this illustrates what I think is a "flaw" to posting classifieds.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to question and comment?? In this example if Barry was correct then it is useful for people to learn. If JL challenges Barry and is correct then that too is useful. IT'S ALL GOOD.

Paul I respect that you would prefer to have a PM, but why? IMHO the more "aired out" the classified are the BETTER they are for everyone. Keeps everyone honest.........how can that be bad??

BTW, the bolts are crap. JL you are very misinformed. They are nearly the antithesis of rust prevention. These things will rust AND weld themselves to the capture nuts on the otherside in the northern states. They do look galvy but are not. They look nice when new but go bad quickly. This is useful information. Get the stainless.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:36 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Since when is an FYI post correction considered "shitting on a thread?"

In contrast to all the manly-man talk on the board about "growing a pair" and "being a man" I think this is a case of total overreaction.

I think Barry pointed out a minor mistake in the posting, and instead of saying "oops" and correcting it, you and Oilburner decided it necessary to slam him based on attitude you perceived in the 2 short sentences he wrote. He could have been reading your post on his phone at a poetry slam or at the food kitchen helping orphans. You just don't know the context.

I'm not sure why a PM would be necessary, I don't think you were trying to fool people as to what the bolts were made of, it's an honest mistake. I also think the rusted pictures proved the point.

Seems like a huge overreaction on both you and Oilburner's part....the STFU thing was way uncalled for.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I should let this die, but where would the fun be in that.

Oilburner,

You really are an idiot. I just reread what you wrote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
they are the new style Torx head (TD5 hinges) and they are about as rust resistant as you can get. Way better than stainless because they don't react with Aluminum.
The hinges are steel, the bulkhead is steel and the T post (if we include 110s) is steel. The hinge bolt never touches aluminum. I guess you could say the door skin is aluminum but I don't see how the bolt would ever touch it unless you screwed up hanging the doors and it was rubbing.

Thanks for helping out.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:58 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If anyone cares, I at least found this thread useful for its entertainment value.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 10th, 2012, 12:12 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Oilburner........don't take the bait.

For the love of all things good..........lock this thread up and throw away the key.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door